Chapter 4 - Vampire

I feel two people each holding one of my hands, and hear a machine beeping, as well as some murmuring. I slowly open my eyes, blinking a couple of times. I look around slowly, but the bandage around my neck keeps me from moving too much. I see a room, blue for the most part. I then see that it is Matt sitting next to me, holding my hand and Jenna is holding my other.

"Hey, hey Amara," My Aunt says calmly. I groan in pain. "I'm going to get a nurse," She assures me as she leaves the room.

"Amara..." Matt says worriedly. He puts both of his hands on my arm. "Hey, hey. It's gonna be okay." I turn my head to face him and gulp.

"Matt," I only just manage to whisper.

"Shh," He cuts me off. "Hey don't try to talk, okay? You're fine."

"Vampire," I mutter. Matt look at me, confused. I feel my eyes start to droop before I pass out once again.

--

I wake up in the hospital room all by myself. I think I'm going crazy. I sit up. My arm has a needle in it. I pull it out with force. 

"Ahh," I mutter. Matt enters the room. I stand up and stare at him. I'm crazy. I'm scared. He could be like the other guy. The one that tried to kill me. He reaches out to me and I scream. I see he is freaked out by this, but he could be one of them. I'm not taking any chances.

"Amara calm down. It's me, it just me," He soothes. I want him to just let go. Once he does, I calm down and he runs off to find a nurse. "Nurse! Nurse!" I hear a noise behind me, and when I turn around I see a man with blonde hair wearing a black leather jacket. Stefan.

"Stefan? What are you-" He cuts me off by running quickly over to me.

"You were attacked by an animal. You don't remember what happened after that," Stefan says. What is he going on about? Before I have time to respond, he disappears. I climb back into the bed. Why is he trying to convince me that it was an animal attack, not a person? What is he going on about? Suddenly it clicks. I feel my brain slowly coming to a conclusion. 

He knows something

Matt and a nurse come running into the room. "She looks fine to me," the short, plump lady says. Matt walks out of the room and heads left down the hall. The nurse follows him out. I'm going to have to speak to Stefan. I fall back to sleep, despite my efforts to stay awake, with Stefan's secret on my mind.

-- 

Matt eventually came back to the room. It was around dinner time, and I had just been served the most disgusting hospital food. Matt was slumped in a very uncomfortable looking chair, dozing off slightly. I picked up the apple on the side of my plate and threw it at him.

"What the--" Matt exclaims as he wakes up from his nap. I chuckle at him.

"Finally, you're awake." I smile at him as he sits up in the chair. "Hey, how are you feeling?" He asks. He has always been sweet, especially to me. After he and Elena broke up, Elena always said Matt was perfect for me, but I only see us as friends- best friends. "You look better." He pauses. "I was worried before. You really had me freaked out with all the screaming..." 

"What are you talking about?" I lied. I don't think its fair if I go around saying it was someone before I know the full truth. All I know is as soon as I leave here, I will find Stefan and make him tell me.

"You don't remember?" He asks. I shake my head.

"I feel fine." I shrug, lying once again.

"Good, good," He nods, palming it off. "Doctor said you can go back home tomorrow."