Chapter 38 : Just Friends

London

Louis hurried his steps as fast as his beating heart. He pushed the tall glass door open. His eyes were wild looking among The Orangery Restaurant visitors. Looking for a familiar face. Liam! He approached a table with a smile on his face. He glanced at his wristwatch, sharp at 5.00 p.m.

Liam stood up as soon as he saw Louis approaching his table. A smile enhancing his clean-shaven face.

"Hi... very punctual!" he praised. "I worried that you couldn't come."

Louis was just smiling. Liam motioned him to sit down on the chair.

"Of course I'm coming. I've promised you. You told me that you have something important to discuss." Louis said softly. His smile masked his anxious' heart. Lot of thoughts was swimming in his mind. What did Liam want to talk about? About them? What else?

Liam smiled. He could sense Louis' anxiety from his voice. He has known him for so long. He knew when something was wrong.

"Let's have a drink first okay," Liam offered. He looked at Louis who was restless, looking anxious.

"Apple juice."

"Eat?"

"Just sandwich." He said suddenly craving for some.

Liam shifted his eyes towards the waiter who was standing professionally besides their table. "An apple juice and an English iced tea with two sets of cream cheese and smoked salmon's sandwich."

The waiter took the menu back and nodded his head before he walked away.

"What's so important, Lee?" he asked.

Liam cleared his throat. "Emm... actually I want to talk about us," he said slowly.

"I've expected this." Louis stared straight into his eyes. Expected! That's all Liam wanted to talk about. He really didn't like to discuss about the 'us' subject. For him, 'us' didn't have other meaning except as friends.

Louis inhaled a deep breath. "Lee, It's not like I didn't want to accept you but I'm someone's husband now. You can't expect me to leave Harry and run away with you just like that." He repeated the same things for so many times. But what else could he do.

"I has accepted our fate for so long. Don't tell me you still cannot accept it until now." Louis stopped for a while before continuing.

"Even if it is a fate that one day Harry divorce me, that doesn't mean that I will run to you. You should find a way kinder and perfect man than me. You have everything, a good job and appearance."

Liam slapped his forehead. His tongue felt heavy to say anything. Actually he was shocked by Louis' words.

"Lou... that's not what I..." his words stopped when the waiter arrived with their drinks. He sipped his iced tea to soothe his throat.

"Lou, you has misunderstood." He laughed. "I understand that your principle won't change. I've used with your habits. Okay, I've accepted the fact that we really don't have any chance to be together but we still have the chance as best friends, right? That's what I intended to say. I wanted for us to be best friends forever, can we?"

Louis was shocked. His eyes grew wide staring into Liam's. "Did he serious about that?" Louis felt unbelievable. He was feeling ashamed of himself. He was the one who misunderstood Liam's intention.

"Ooh..." Louis bowed his head down. "I'm relieved hearing that. "I'm sorry, I've misunderstood you."

Liam smiled looking at Louis' flushed face. But he didn't blame Louis thinking negative of him. He was the one who persuaded Louis to leave Harry. But that was before. Harry has confessed to him that he really love Louis and will take care of Louis till the end. He believed him. Harry was a man of words. If he ever break his promise, he'll know his fate. From Liam's observation, he knew that Louis too was loving Harry, even if he refused to admit it.