Chapter 4

More Than Just A Friend (Matthew Espinosa Fan Fic)

Chapter 4.

Melanie’s P.O.V

I stared at the bottle of anti-depressants.  “Do it.” I whispered to myself as I popped the lid open and spilled the pills into my hand. “Matt, I love you.” I whispered again and shoved the pills into my mouth. Too many? I was hoping.  

I wasn’t a person who liked to live.  Depressed since I was at a young age, self-harm just four years ago. Matthew wouldn’t understand. Neither would my mom. I just wanted to be happy. And death was happiness.

Death always invited me in; I never took the invitation, not until tonight. Not until I swallowed these pills. Death was always a friend of mine; I just never wanted to believe it.

“Mel!” It sounded like Matt, his fists pounding on my door, right before the pills kicked in and I lay there, motionless.

Matthew’s P.O.V

“Mel!” I pounded on her hotel door. Cameron had told me everything. The scars, bruises, everything. I don’t want Melanie to hurt herself no more. “Mel please!!” I jiggled the door knob and then pulled out a bobby pin. Only I would carry one around.

The door swung open and I began to look for her. “Mel…” I checked over by the bed. She wasn’t there. The bathroom door was open; a white bottle was lying on the floor.  

I ran into the bathroom. Her over-sized sweatpants tied around her waist with a string, her hoodie covering her stomach and arms. “Mel!” I dropped to my knees, grabbed her head and laid it in my lap. I dialed 911 and told them where we were.

***

“Is she going to be okay?” I looked at the nurse who just walked out her room.

The nurse nodded. “Yes. You are able to see her.”

I smiled and walked into her room.

Her head was titled, an IV in her arm, the heart monitor beeping every now and then.

“Melanie?” I walked towards her.  Her eyes fluttered a bit.

“Yeah?” Her voice was barely audible.

“Show me your scars.” I demanded.

“Why?”

“I want to see how many times you needed me, and I wasn’t there.” Tears came out of my eyes, dripping onto Mel’s hand.

“Matt, this isn’t your fault.” She whispered and squeezed my hand.

I sat down on the stool that was on the left side of her bed. “Mel, I’m in love with you.” I whispered, hoping she felt the same.

A smile came across her face, showing off her white teeth. “I-I’m in l-love with you.” She stuttered but it was cute.

I smiled, and squeezed her hand. “Melanie Mae Woods, would you be my girlfriend?”

Tears started to come from her eyes. “Oh my god. Yes.”

I smiled bigger and pulled her into a hug. “I love you. Don’t you ever try anything like this again.”

“I love you too, but I don’t make-“

“What the hell did you do?!” Mel’s mom barged through the door; her tear streaked face was red.

“Mom, it was an accident.” Mel was really good at lying.

“An accident? Trying to kill yourself is an accident!” She yelled and came closer to Mel.

“I didn’t try to take to many anti-depressants!” Her heart rate going up.

“I know you’re lying!” Her mom’s hand slapped across her face.

Melanie just sat there. No emotions, no feelings, no nothing.

“And you!” Her mom pointed at me. “You’re the reason my baby girl tried to commit suicide!”

I looked over at Mel. “Me?”

“Yeah! She wrote about it in her diary.”

“Oh my gosh! Mom!!” Mel yelled and buried her face into her sheets.

“Read it.” She shoved Mel’s diary at me.

I opened it, and started to flip through pages.

“Ugh, another day without Matt, another day my razor meets my skin… Again… for the 1000th time. “ The third page stated.

“Matt makes me feel worthless. Like, can’t you call me?” The sixth page had tear stains.

“Oh my god. I hate this life so much! Matthew totally forgot about me. He never calls, texts, or tweets. He isn’t even following me on Twitter! What the hell Matt. Do you hate me?! Am I not good enough for you! Should I just die? I think that’s best. If I just died.”

I looked over at Mel, who was hiding under the sheets. “Wow.” I threw the book onto the ground and stormed out of the room.

She really thought I didn’t care about her? She was really going to kill herself, over me!

Cameron ran into the hospital and straight over to me. “Is she okay?”

“She was going to kill herself, over me. Over me dammit!” I punched the wall.

“What?”

“Melanie tried to kill herself, over me. Because she thought she wasn’t good enough, when really, she was all I ever wanted.”

Cameron pulled me into a hug. “It’s okay.”

“No. It’s not.” I was starting to cry. Am I really worth taking her life?

“Matt, trust me, its okay. Maybe she was mad or something.”

I shook my head, letting my tears fall onto Cam’s shirt.

(*Hey! Cliff hanger! I want you guys to know, that I did indeed rush into this. But it’ll all make sense in just a few chapters. I’m really glad you guys like this a lot. Thank you so much for reading and voting! Remember, if you ever feel this way, please message me! Anyways, have a great night/day *)