The Brotherhood

It was the most miserable night Bjorn and Rowan had ever experienced in their entire lives. With each bump the cart made, their bounds would rub against their wrists causing the skin to be rubbed raw and bleed. Their backs ached from being forced to sit in an upright position and to top it all off they were freezing as the air was frigid and damp. Rowan was thankful that she decided to sleep in her clothing, for she would have probably froze to death if she wore her nightclothes.

Bjorn's head throbbed from the hit he received earlier and his wrists were burning now more than ever. Even though his body ached the only thing he cared about at the moment was Rowan's safety.

As dawn broke, the mercenaries took a quick break to relieve themselves and grab breakfast. Kacper got off of his horse and decided to inspect to two captives personally.

First came the girl and when he came into her view, she jumped forward in an attempt to attack him but her bounds jerked her back. She tried to shout obscenities at him but the gag prevented this as well, only increasing her anger. Even though she looked disheveled she was still a sight to see. Her cerulean eyes shot daggers at him and disgust and anger filled her face. Kacper couldn't help but chuckle at her displease for him, "Well aren't you just a fierce little thing."

Next they walked to Bjorn's end of the cart and smiled at the Rorikman. Even with his bruised face Kacper could tell he was handsome like his father. The boy glared at him but remained still as Erlander's threat was still fresh in his mind. If there was anything he could do to ensure Rowan's safety then by God he would do it.

Kacper gave him one last look and mounted his steed. The men finished their food, not offering their captives, any and quickly maneuvered their way through the winding trails of the forest.

On and on they rode until it was midafternoon. Long ago had they left the thick red wood forest and had entered a smaller one that Rowan didn't know the name of. Its trees were filled with large oaks that were spread out far and wide and moss hung from their limbs. She desperately needed to relieve herself and when Kacper made the announcement to stop for lunch she hoped that they would let her.

As if they had read her mind, they grabbed her and Bjorn from the cart and walked them into the forest in opposite directions. Bjorn's body ached as he walked upright but he was glad for the small break they allowed him. "Hurry up and go to the bathroom if you need to. You can eat after," Erlander said, not turning around. Bjorn grimaced at him for not giving him privacy but quickly relieved himself anyways.

Rowan on the other hand refused to go to the bathroom in front of the man whom she still didn't know the name of. It wasn't the same brute from last night, for this one was much taller and his nose wasn't as large. She kept trying to tell him that he needed to turn around but he couldn't understand her until finally he shoved his dirty fingers into her mouth and removed the gag.

"Make it quick," he commanded impatiently. Rowan swallowed hard as the gag had strained her ability to swallow properly.

"I said that you need to turn around," she spat slowly, narrowing her eyes. The large man scoffed and removed the rope attached to his trousers, then tied the other end to Rowan's hands. It wouldn't give her much distance from him but it would to do suit her needs.

"No funny business," he muttered and turned his back to her.

Rowan's first instinct was to take the rope and wrap it around his neck, strangling him until his heart beat no more. But she knew if she did that she would not only endanger Bjorn's life possibly, but that she would be no match for the remaining seven men. So with one big sigh she walked as far away from his as she could until the rope held no more slack and went to went to the bathroom.

Once she was done she walked back over to the man and cleared her throat. She expected him to gag her again but he didn't, and only pushed her forward towards the cart. When the two reached the horses she spotted Bjorn sitting on the ground with one hand tied to the wheel and the other he used to eat with.

"Put her on the other wheel," Kacper instructed. He didn't want the two to be too close.

The man nodded and pushed Rowan forward again until they reached the other side of the cart and she sat down opposite to Bjorn. The man released one hand and fastened the other to a spoke and sat a small plate of food on her lap, then joined the other men. She studied the intricate knot and decided that it would take her a long time to unravel it.

She sighed in defeat and leaned her head back against the wheel. "Bjorn?" she whispered after a few moments. She had almost forgotten she was able to speak again.

"Yes love?" he answered sounding defeated. The amount of sadness in his voice almost broke her heart and she badly wanted to wrap her arms around him and tell him that they would get through this.

"Are you okay?" she asked, not sure what to even say. She could hear Bjorn chuckle which made her feel a bit better. "I've never been better. How about you? Have they hurt you? I swear I will-" he asked before one of the men shouted at him to be quiet. He badly wanted to yell back a few insults but he knew better. One word and he would be gagged, taking away his ability to speak to Rowan.

Rowan looked down at her wrists and winced. They were angry looking and would require attention soon. "I'm okay for the most part," she answered quietly, "Do you know who they are?" Bjorn shook his head even though she couldn't see him, "No I don't..."

Again they were scolded for talking and this time two men walked over and stood for the remainder of lunch.

Seeing that she could no longer speak to Bjorn, she decided to eat. The food tasted horrendous but she swallowed it down anyways. It tasted old and stale but it was food nonetheless. Having skipped breakfast made her very willing to eat every last crumb. Once she was finished she sat back and rested her head on the spokes and tried to devise a plan.

Meanwhile at the camp Tursa and Falkstan assembled the tributes announced that their prince and princess had been taken against their will sometime during he night. Cries of outrage and disdain filled the air as Tursa retold them how Horan had discovered their tent empty after Bjorn and Rowan did not show up to breakfast. Blood had covered their bed and floor and furniture was toppled over. From the tent, Horan had discovered where they had been dragged off into the woods. He attempted to follow them but their captors were careful and covered their tracks. Then on a large tree was a note that had been skewered with a knife. It had been folded many times, signaling that he was wrote long ago and that their captors planned this for a while.

Horan had snatched off and read it a dozen times, trying to make sense of it all and immediately handed it over to Falkstan who confirmed what Horan had thought.

Tursa raised her hands, trying to calm the Gladeswomen as they wept for their future queen. Falkstan attempted to settle his men but they were too angry to listen. Finally the two were able to calm them down enough to read the note that was left behind.

Falkstan unfolded the note and took a deep breath, "We have taken your two most precious tributes. Write to their parents and tell them the Brotherhood has them. Make haste, for who knows how much longer we will keep them alive. -K."

And so they did. Two ravens were sent to the Glade and to Rorikman, notifying the king and Queen what had occurred at the encampment.

A/N: I'm sorry if the chapter was dry, next one will have more action :)