Better From Swine

Bjorn watched as his father trotted in on his mount, his dark eyes skimming the crowd. When his gaze met Bjorn's he stiffened and slightly raised his head. His father pulled on his reigns, ceasing the horse, and threw one leg over his saddle before jumping down.

The crowd made way from him as he marched over to Bjorn, who could hear his heartbeat pounding in his ears.

King Olfriq stopped a few feet away from Bjorn, looking him over. Time seemed to pass slowly for Bjorn, and the few seconds it took felt like hours. All eyes were on the King of Rorik and his son.

Finally, when Bjorn could no longer take it, he opened his mouth, "Hello fa-" he started, but was cut off when his father grasped him by the crook of his neck and pulled him in, slamming Bjorn into his hardened chest. Rowan immediately let go and backed up, letting the two have some space.

At first Bjorn thought that his father had struck him as his nose instantly pained him, but when he felt his father's arms embrace him he exhaled and returned his embrace. It baffled him as his father had not shown such care or affection for him since he was a boy, for war had hardened him. He did not know if his father was truly happy to see him or if he was putting on a show because they had spectators. When King Olfriq pulled back, he smiled at his son, patting the side of his face, "You had me worried son. I thought I would never see you again."

Bjorn had to fight from letting his jaw drop in disbelief. Is that a tear threatening to fall from his eye? Did he actually care for me? Or was he only upset because he would not have an heir to the throne? Bjorn pushed those thoughts from his head, knowing it was not the right time nor place to ponder them, and returned his father's smile. "Hello father, it's nice to see you," he said smoothly, to which his dad ruffled his hair and laughed followed by his men cheering, then draped an arm around his shoulders and led him into the High Palace. Bjorn turned around to Rowan, giving her a confused look.

She gave him a small smile, understanding that he should go with his father. It made her happy to see that he had greeted him so warmly.

Once the courtyard had cleared out of the Roriks, the next tribe entered, causing Rowan to seethe as she recognized who they were. Their long braided hair and painted blue arms gave them away to be the men of Bluegarde. Rowan had heard many tales of these men-if you could even call them that- about how they would kill one of their own for giving a displeasing look and how they would take their women at the Skabelse by force and laugh about it to each other afterwards. They believed that cutting their hair would diminish their strength so most of them styled their hair into long braids. They also would paint their left arm from bicep to wrist in a bright blue color, signifying that they were from the land of Bluegarde. Out of all the clans and tribes of men, they were the ones that hated women the most.

She shuddered in disdain and automatically reached for her blade out of habit, only to remember that she had left it in her quarters, mentally cursing herself for doing such a stupid act.

"What are they doing here?" she asked through clenched teeth to no one in particular. The sight of them made her sick to her stomach.

Her mother let out a sharp exhale, "I believe they are here to stand with us."

As their leader slipped off of his horse, he collected a large amount of mucus by sucking in through his nose and spat it onto the cobblestone court yard, leaving a sickly green wad of slime. Rowan could hear one of her Sisters gag, which then caused laughter to ensue from the Bluegardes.

Rowan refused to stand for their behavior and decided to speak up, not caring about what her actions would lead to. She stepped forward, putting herself in front of her Sisters, and tried her best to look menacing, "I have heard that the men from Bluegarde were short on manners but to see such behavior appalls me. Have you no respect for the High Palace or its grounds? I would expect better from swine."

She heard her mother suck in her breath and place a warning hand on her shoulder but she quickly shrugged it off, crossing her arms in front of her chest. Some of the men stifled their laughter, reminding her of Kacper and his band of mercenaries.

The leader, who was tall and well-built with dark hair, curled his lip and strolled over to Rowan. He looked to be in his early thirties. He had expected her to cower...to at least take a step back as most did when he approached them...but she did not. This both angered and intrigued him, as she did not fear him like he wanted.

He stopped a foot in front of her, looking her up and down. It was obvious she was a great warrior by her stance and the scars that she doted. Her silver hair gave her away as a Daughter of the Glade, and with their queen standing behind her with a worried look on her face he assumed that this was her daughter.

He leaned in, catching a whiff of her clean fragrance and gave a sinister smile. "If you have heard of us, then why would you disrespect me? No less in front of my men?" he asked in a deep tone that rattled Rowan's bones. He looked over her shoulder to see that all of her women had their hand's cautiously placed on the hilt of their blades, ready to use them if needed.

She set her jaw and lifted her chin in defiance. "As I said, you are at the High Palace, not one of your stables that you most likely sleep in. Show some respect," her voice was low and steady. Even though she did not particularly like King Tomwulf, she still respected him and the other High Royals and would fight for them until her death.

The large man narrowed his eyes and stood straight, enthralled with the young woman. "What is your name?" He already knew it, as the letter the raven carried had given him such information, but he wanted to hear it from her.

Rowan stood in silence, arms still crossed. She refused to give her name and she could care less what his was.

Queen Lana knew her daughter well and decided to take matters in her own hands before she worsened the situation. She quickly walked over to her and placed a firm hand on Rowan's back, "This is my daughter Rowan and I am Queen Lana. We hail from the Glade."

The man looked her over, then her daughter once more. Both were beautiful and he could not help but to fantasize about having them. "I am Earl Rollo and as you know," he started before turning around and motioning to his men behind him, "We are from Bluegarde."

His men had a mixture of anger and amusement on their faces and he noticed that they too had cautious hands placed on their weapons.

After an awkward moment of silence passed, Queen Lana spoke once again, "Well it is an honor to meet you Earl Rollo. I am sure you have much to do as do we," she said with a polite bow before she twisted Rowan around and ushered her away from Earl Rollo.

The Gladeswomen followed suit, each giving the men of Bluegarde ill-mannered glances before disappearing behind the bend of the palace to the training yard.

Earl Rollo turned to his men and gave them a baleful grin, "Let's go to the tavern. I'm in need of a drink."

His men cheered, pleased that they would be able to spend the afternoon downing mead as there was no time when they traveled. "You! Mind the horses," he commanded of a light haired girl in a royal blue robe. She squeaked and ran over, obeying the frightening man. The men laughed and together walked through the outlying village to the tavern.

As they walked, the third caravan passed them full of women from Starke. They gave the men callous looks as they had been stuck traveling behind them for the past few days. Their leader, Torvi, resisted her urge to pull out her blade and remove a few of their heads as she rode by, then laughed at herself for having such a thought.

"Ya!" she ordered her horse, gently nudging it in its side. She no longer wished to be in the men of Bluegardes presence.

As they entered the High Palace's courtyard, Torvi sighed and dismounted her horse, followed by the trusted women she decided to accompany her.

She looked around and saw a group of light haired women in the distance and immediately recognized them to be the Daughters of the Glade. She felt her heartbeat quicken and mentally told herself to relax as she walked over to introduce herself.

Soooooo a lot of new characters were introduced! Also thank you guys for the 1k views! You are AMAZING!! And yes, I know the chapter title is lame lol, I'll change it when I think of something better, any suggestions?