Looking's For Free

When Bjorn awoke the next morning, the first thing he noticed was the pounding in his head. His hangover with Horan had been worse though, giving him high hopes that it would soon pass within a few hours. As he looked down, the next thing he noticed was Rowan on his chest, fast asleep. Her right cheek was bruised from Viktor and the familiar feeling of anger slowly started to fill him. He was both mad at the mercenary and himself, even though she did not want him to be. Ever since their capture, he had felt weak, for he was always strong and victorious both on and off the battlefield and defeat was new to him.

He did not want to wake Rowan, so he tried his best not to move and breathe rhythmically.

A few minutes later, Rowan stirred awake and slowly sat up. She rubbed her eyes and looked around the camp to find that the tents had already been taken down and breakfast had been started. She noticed the fog had thinned, and as the morning rays shined through the pines on the white haze it was quite beautiful and peaceful. Then, she looked down to Bjorn who had propped himself up on both elbows. "Good morning," she said sleepily.

Bjorn smiled softly, "Good morning," he said, before adding on, "So I guess today is the big day," referring to meeting the woman named Blanche. He found it strange that the mercenaries were working with a woman. Seeing as that they were not at a Skabelse, why else would they be working together, much less even speaking to one another? And why would they go through all this trouble to have Rowan and himself brought to her? These were the questions he knew would be answered by the end of today.

Rowan sighed and nodded as she looked back to the men who quietly talked to one another, "Aye, it is."

Thorin noticed the two royals had awoken and grabbed the two small plates that was set aside for them and walked over to the large iron cart. He easily slipped the plates through the cage, then handed over his water skin. He knew the boy needed it more than him.

"Thank you," Rowan said as she took it from Thorin. He gave her a curt nod, "Eat," he said, looking down and pointing to her empty womb. She couldn't help but to half-smile at the situation and shake her head as she handed the water to Bjorn.

"What was that about?" he asked confused, popping the cap off and taking three large gulps. She waited for him to finish and studied him as he indulged. His once white shirt was now dirty and had been cut and torn at the collar-like hers-except his reached his midriff. His lip was slip had had started to scab over and his once straight nose was now slightly crooked after it being broken the other night. It would have to be rebroken and set eventually, and she wanted to make sure she was not around for that. The tattoo on his smooth chest contrasted against his tan skin and she realized that even though he looked trodden, something about him shouted that he was strong and resilient, making Rowan even more attracted to him if that were possible.

He wiped his mouth on his dirty sleeve and noticed her staring at him and he smiled slyly, "Looking's for free but touching is going to cost you," he teased. Rowan chuckled and felt like she was back by the fire at camp when he had caught her staring the first time. Even with their new relationship she felt the blush on her face.

"Thorin thinks I am with child. That is why he made sure that I eat," Rowan explained, resting her hand on her stomach. Only weeks ago she feared pregnancy and the grueling process of child birth, but now it shed a new light on her as she thought it would be bearable-possibly enjoyable-with the Rorik by her side.

Bjorn contemplated this in his head as he ate the scrambled eggs Thorin brought, trying to see if they could use that to their advantage somehow. Maybe if he told this to the Blanche woman, Rowan would be spared from any more abuse?

Scraping the last bit of eggs in his mouth he noticed he was already feeling better and decided it was time to devise a plan. "So what is going to be our strategy when we meet this woman?" he asked Rowan quietly. She shrugged, "I think we should keep our guard up but try to see what she wants with us. If she plans on killing us though, I don't plan to go down without a fight." It was a simple plan and Bjorn nodded.

"Do you think she will be anything like the Glades women?" he asked, curious. They were they only women he had ever met and he personally wouldn't want to go against them. He had seen their skill firsthand.

Rowan wanted to laugh at his question. She wanted to tell him no one is like the Daughters of the Glade, but she held her tongue, "I think she will be like something neither of us has ever seen. I mean we already know that she is working with men on her own accord which is something that hasn't been done for thousands of years. I am sure she will be a powerful woman though in both size and riches; why else would these mercenaries obey her?" she asked herself out loud. "Regardless of her size or wealth she is still human and will bleed if cut, just like anyone else so I shall hold no fear when we go before her," Rowan finished, shrugging. Bjorn smile at this and nodded, taking another sip of water.

Caneo and Katir soon came over to the cart and separated the royals into their usual cages, then bound them to the iron bars. Rowan and Bjorn were surprised though when they were not gagged relief flooded them, for the dirty rags had become even more of a nuisance than the throbbing in their wrists.

Kacper mounted his steed and turned around in his saddle, "We won't stop as frequent as we have been. I want to reach the Brotherhood before dusk."

"What about Viktor?" Erlander asked. He thought that they should at least burry their friend. But then again was he even that? They had worked together for years, but they only thing that kept them together was the promise of getting paid after a job well done.

"The birds will take care of him," Kacper replied unemotionally.

And with that they were off.