Guess

As the army rode deeper into foreign territory, the lull of Rowan's mare as it walked quickly put her to sleep. But as the procession ceased for a break, she was roused awake by Meliana.

Rowan groaned as she sat up and rubbed her neck, as it had become sore from her poor posture. "Where are we?" Rowan asked, looking around at the strange scenery. They were no longer in the thick evergreen forest that outlined the High Palace's boarders and not a single mountain was in view. Instead, they were in the charred and crumbled remains of a city from the old world.

Meliana shrugged and threw her long pony tail with golden accented clasps over her shoulder. "Who knows. I heard Queen Lana whisper that this once was a placed called Portland."

Rowan pressed her lips into a thin line as she surveyed the area and imagined what those that have long been dead experienced as their beloved city fell. There were a few buildings that stood tall, well over a few hundred feet and she had to crane her head back to look at the top. One had a massive hole in its side, showing the many floors that the building once had. Vines and foliage had grown over much of the land as well as heaps of metal objects that were once used for transportation. She racked her brain as she tried to remember what they were called but could not think of it.

"I bet it was beautiful in its day," Rowan sad, sliding off of her mare and grasping the reigns.

Meliana shrugged once again, "I suppose," she said as they walked to a river to water their horses. Many seemed to have the same idea as people clustered together to walk the small distance. Meliana looked around her shoulders before leaning in closer and lowering her voice, "Sometimes I wonder what it was like to live back in those times. How different would our world be? To live in homes with husbands, to raise children together, to travel the world in a matter of hours? Its hard to fathom."

Rowan looked to her left at her friend who was biting her lip and watching the ground as the walked. "Aye. It almost seems like science fiction..." she said, trailing off. She thought that the conversation had ended when Meliana cleared her throat nervously.

"Do you...do you think that Hvitserk favors me?" she asked nervously, as if she shouldn't be talking about such things.

Rowan's eyes widened as she was taken aback. I thought she hated him? She couldn't be certain, but from the way Horan and Darsa had bickered back and forth and from personal experience with Bjorn, she would have to say that the odds we likely considering they fought like cats and dogs.

Rowan stopped walking and tried her best to hide her smile from her friend. Meliana stopped abruptly as well and her horse neighed softly, then pressed it's head against her chest.

"What?" Meliana asked, ignoring her horse as she looked at Rowan confused.

Rowan could no longer hide her grin and let it slip onto her face slowly. "I am no expert but from my own experiences I would say he does."

Meliana mirrored Rowan and flashed her teeth, "Do you really think so? There is something about him that just....I don't know. He drives me crazy, but I can't help but to be attracted to him, he is so enticing and self-assured."

Rowan laughed again and continued walking once more. "Aye, I think most Rorikmen have those qualities. I've grown fond of the lot of them if I'm being honest," she said, looking into the distance at the large amount of Roriks as they watered their horses. Each kingdom rode separately and she hadn't gotten the chance to talk to Bjorn since they left, so she squinted her eyes in hopes to catch sight of him and spotted him out and to the left.

"I think once all of this is over I shall ask Hvitserk if he wishes to have dinner with me," Meliana said hopefully.

Rowan nodded her head as her smile faltered as she thought of unavoidable battle and the losses shed encounter. In the past, she hardly had to worry about anyone as the only people she cared about were her fellow Sisters, but now, as time had passed, she had come to meet many great people that she had the honor of calling them her friends. And as they drew closer to the river, she wondered who would not be making the trip back to the High Palace to celebrate their victory.