New Day

A light tap on Rowan's shoulder woke her from her sleep. She slowly opened her eyes and looked up to see Melina standing over her and Bjorn. She blinked and rubbed her tired eyes with her right palm and sat up, gathering that they must have fallen asleep sometime during the night. Her neck protested as she craned her head up and she slightly winced.

In the distance, the soft sounds of murmurs and birds chirping filled the air. The sun was had peaked over the grassy plains signaling that dawn had already passed and a new day had started.

Meliana's eyes were red and puffy, giving away that she had been crying throughout the night. "Forgive me Lady Rowan, but I thought that you would want me to wake you this morning."

The sound of her voice stirred Bjorn awake as well, and he sat up confused and groggy.

Rowan offered a small smile, "Thank you friend," she said. She watched Meliana nod softly and begin to walk away when Rowan spoke up once more. "Meliana?" she called out, not sure how to address their situation. Many adored her mother, and Melina was very close to the Gladeswomen that lost their lives as well as being infatuated with the Rorik, Hvitserk. "Are you okay?"

Meliana froze and her shoulders sagged as she turned around. Her eyes began to water and she blinked the tears away before they could fall. She sighed and nodded her head. "I will be." She turned back around and scurried away to where many of the remaining Gladeswomen had pitched their tents.

Rowan and Bjorn sat in silence for a few moments before he spoke up. "Would you like to bathe? I do not think I will be able to eat breakfast like this," he said, looking down at his unclean body. His voice was thick and husky with sleep and Rowan could not help but to notice her heart rate pick up.

"Aye. I believe many rode past that hill over there and found a pond last night," she said, pointing to the west. Just then, a group of about eight or nine men appeared over the hill on horses, their hair still dripping wet with water, confirming that she was right.

Rowan stood up, ignoring her sore muscles that were screaming at her, and stretched. Her eyes followed the men who had arrived back to the field. They dismounted their horses and walked them over to the Starkewomen's camp and passed them the reigns as well as a large satchel which she assumed was bathing supplies.

"Looks like they are taking turns. I'll see you at breakfast?" Bjorn asked as he began to work on his straps of his leather vest which was coated in dried blood. Rowan nodded and squeezed his arm as she walked past him as she made her way to the Gladeswomen.

They were all quiet as they began to prepare food, but when Rowan joined them many put on forced smiles to keep the morale up. "Good morning," many greeted, bowing. Rowan restrained herself from asking them to not bow, but it was not the right time or moment to do such a thing so instead she returned their bow and forced a smile in return. It pained her to see them so grief stricken. Even after the many war's they had faced, they had never experienced such anguish. With each victory, they only suffered a handful of losses, never this many.

"Good morning Sisters. I hate to ask but may I borrow someone's horse? I'd like to take a bath while it is the women's turn to bathe," she asked as she remembered the one that was given to her was now dead.

"You may borrow mine my q-," Jude, a tall and curvy Gladeswomen offered before quickly stopping herself.

Rowan felt herself internally cringe at the thought of being a queen. I suppose I am now though, as much as I do not wish to be. She felt too young and naive to be the ruler of the Glade, and was thankful that there would still be a few weeks before her formal coronation.

She tried her best to pretend as if she did not hear the last part of her offer, and fixed her face to look grateful instead. "Thank you Jude, I'll bring her back as soon as I am finished."