So It Begins

Warning: Lots of graphic content the next few chapters

The two young royals raced back to their side of the field, and as they did so, they could hear the faint shouts of commands coming from behind them. Blood started to pump at an alarming rate through Rowan's veins, and she welcomed it with opened arms. Its time.

As they drew closer, the sight of many dismounting their horses brought confusion to the two. "Why are they dismounting? Would it not give us the upper hand if we used them to our advantage?" Rowan asked her mother as they made their way over.

Queen Lana gave a quick nod, "Aye, but we will need a good amount for our journey back to the High Palace."

She thought this over a moment and mentally agreed with her mother. "Who will go on horseback then?" she asked, pulling her blade from its sheath and rubbing the tip of her finger over the edge, testing its sharpness.

"The palace's guards, the women of Morrstick, us, and the men from Loria. The men of Olandry and the women from the Wayland Woods will be our archers until it is time for them to move forward. The Roriks, Bluegardes, and the Starke women will fall behind us."

It was a completely different battle strategy than the one they had first come up with, but it would have to suffice. Rowan nodded and looked over to Bjorn who was speaking with his father.

"Say goodbye, but be quick. The sun will soon set and I would rather not fight in darkness," Queen Lana said in a stern voice. It was strange for Rowan to see her mother in such a way, as she had not been by her side in battle for years. Her usual sweet and gentle demeanor had been replaced by a hard battle stricken warrior--and she loved it.

Rowan quickly dismounted her horse and made her way to Bjorn who was now talking to Leif. When he noticed her approach, he roughly patted his shoulder and joined the others to offer some privacy.

Bjorn turned around and offered her a smile that did not reach his emerald eyes. "Hello love."

Rowan didn't reply, but instead threw her arms around his neck and squeezed him tight. The thought of losing him starting to sink with each passing moment.

He returned her embrace and lightly kissed the top of her head, "We will be okay, I promise."

"How do you know?" she asked, her voice muffled by his muscular chest.

"Because I do. Those on the other side of that field only fight and follow Blanche because they were either paid or fed tainted lies that she will give them the world they desire. Unlike them, we have something to fight for," he said, pulling her back so she could look at him. "The honor to save our High King and Queen, to avenge the other two's deaths, to avenge ourselves for what that psycho did, and most importantly, for our future. Look around us," he said, motioning to the others with his chin, "We have some of the best warriors on our side."

Rowan looked behind him at the toned Rorikmen, then over to the deadly women of Starke as they listened intently to their Queen's final orders. She watched Rollo and the blue painted Bluegardes as their eyes filled with excitement and jumped up in down with their powerful legs to get their blood flowing, then over to Caspian's men who stood straight and tall as the nocked their arrows. Finally, and she looked over to her fellow Sisters, each preparing themselves by stretching or getting in a few practice swings.

Bjorn waited for her to finish her realization for her to finish, "We also have the palace's guardsmen, who are well trained for these situations as well as a few other kingdoms who have plead their fidelity."

Rowan nodded once more to herself and let out a slow breath. "You're right. But if this doesn't end well for us, know that I love you and carry it with you wherever you go."