What Are You Smiling For?

Rowan could see the camp in the distance. The faint outline of the remaining seven men stood in a circle, yelling at something. Kacper sounded threatening and as she got closer she could make out a few phrases as he shouted "Where are they?" and "Did she escape?" The fire was dim but gave off enough light to show the anger on their faces.

As she entered the small encampment she realized they were yelling at Bjorn who was sprawled out onto the ground, confused and highly hung over. Just then Caneo rolled up his sleeves and cracked his knuckles, getting ready to beat the answers out of him. As saw this she ran to them as fast as she could, "Stop!"

Eight heads whipped to the side, looking directly at her. Relief flooded Bjorn's face as he gathered Rowan was safe and had not abandoned him.

Kacper snarled and stomped over to her, grabbing her by her silver hair, "And just where in the hell have you been? Was that you screaming in the woods? Where is Viktor?" Rowan seethed and was able to push him away from her. She never wanted to be touched by a man again unless it was Bjorn.

"He's dead. I killed him," she answered coldly. The mercenaries almost instantly shouted obscenities at her while Bjorn still laid on the ground, his mouth wide opened. Even though he felt like horrible and that he would puke any moment, he clung to every word of hers.

Kacper's face filled with dismay, "You. Killed. Him?" he asked slowly. Bjorn watched as Rowan held her chin high, obviously proud at what she had done. This frightened him immensely, "Who knows what they will do to her?" he thought. They had beat him for talking back to Kacper so if she killed one of their own what form of punishment would they bestow upon her? Whatever it may be he would ask if he could take it instead.

"And why did you kill him?" Kacper asked, sounding so calm it was almost scary.

"Because he tried to rape me!" she exclaimed. Bjorn felt his blood run ice cold as the words escaped her lips. The thought of that ogre putting his hands on his woman enraged him. He was lucky that she was the one to end his life, for if Bjorn had the chance he would had made it a slow and painful death. But then his hanger turned on himself. How could he let such a thing happen? He had failed her yet again and would never be able to forgive himself no matter how much time passed. He looked down to the ground in shame as he felt a strange stinging in his eyes.

"He brought Bjorn and me into the woods saying that you had ordered him to so that we could relieve ourselves. I told him to take Bjorn first and he did and came back for me. He forced himself on me and would have had his way if I didn't strangle him. He got what he deserved and if any of you try to follow in his footsteps I shall do the same to you!" Rowan finished, almost daring them to even take a step closer. "I don't need my blade to take their lives," she though viciously.

Kacper said nothing, only stared at her in disbelief. He looked at her torn collar and bruised cheek and knew it must be true. He knew Viktor had always loved women, and taking them forcefully was a common past time for him. But those were always peasants and he would usually leave a silver coin afterwards. But trying to force himself on a royal? A Daughter of the Glade? He thought that Viktor knew better.

Finally Kacper sighed, "Tis his own fault I suppose. Get back to sleep. We only have a few more hours until dawn." And with that he made his way back to his tent.

The men stood still, unsure what to do. Most of them wanted to kill the woman where she stood but they know they could not. Finally Thorin helped Bjorn to his feet and led him back to the cart in silence. Erlander followed suit as he walked over to Rowan. He tried to grab her arm but she yanked it away, "I can walk there myself."

Thorin helped Bjorn up and waited for Rowan to climb in before he wrapped the heavy chain around tightly and locked them inside.

The rest of the men had entered their tents as well, leaving Rowan and Bjorn alone in the same section of the cage.

She slowly turned to the Rorik with tears in her eyes and threw herself onto him. They had left his hands unbound so he wrapped his arms around her and held her tightly, not wanting to let go of the most precious thing to him.

Once again Rowan was overwhelmed with emotion and she tried her hardest to remain silent as the tears fell onto Bjorn's shoulder. "I am so sorry Rowan. I should have been there to protect you. Never have I felt so helpless as I heard you call my name. At first I thought I was hearing things, but the third time I was sure it was you. I called out for Kacper and woke him but he thought you had escaped..." he trailed off, then swallow hard. "Rowan I can't tell you how sorry I am."

In the pale moonlight Rowan looked up at him and shook her head, "Don't be sorry. This isn't your fault and I don't ever want you to ever think that, okay?"

Bjorn looked down and let one last tear fall. Rowan quickly wiped it away with her thumb and kissed his gently. This is what a kiss is supposed to feel like. Not foul or skin crawling as Viktor's had, but with passion and love behind it. At that word Rowan pulled away, shocked at her realization. Did she love him? As she looked at the raven haired boy before her she knew the answer almost instantly. Yes.

Bjorn pulled her in to him, enclosing her in another embrace. He could feel a small smile on her face as her cheeks pulled up into his chest. It baffled him that she could find joy in such a dark night as this. "What are you smiling for?" he asked her, curious.

"Because I just realized something," Rowan replied after a while. "And what's that?" he asked, kissing the top of her head.

"That I love you, Bjorn," she answered, her voice sounding as if it was the simplest and easiest reply she had ever given.

Now Bjorn was the one smiling as he had never heard a sweeter answer. It warmed his heart and in that moment he felt anything was possible. They would get through this either by escape or they would find a way to defeat this Blanche woman, and afterwards he planned to never leave her side.

"I love you too Rowan. With all of my heart," he said softly, bringing her face up to meet his.

For a long time they shared tender lovingly and sweet kisses. Soon they grew tired and laid their sealskin coats over them. Rowan nestled close to Bjorn as she used his arm as a pillow, and with one last kiss peck on the lips they fell asleep.