Even the Blind Could See

It was early evening when the mercenaries decided to make camp for the night. Kacper surveyed the area before ordering the men to halt. It was in a ravine that would give them a barrier against the cold air and also coverage if someone were to pass by, and a small stream lay only a few feet away.

When the cart stopped moving, it jerked Rowan and Bjorn's bodies, causing their bounds to slice deeper into their already tender and bloody wrists. There was no doubt that it would cause them to have faint scars once their wounds healed, but unlike the scar on Rowan's check and the four the bear gave her on her side, she would not be carrying these with pride. For every time someone would look upon them it would only be a reminder that she was defeated and captured.

The men quickly made haste of setting up camp as they collected fire wood, propped up tents, and started dinner, all while leaving Bjorn and Rowan in the cart, still gagged. After they had finished their lunch, Kacper thought it was a good idea if they remained mute and ordered his men to stuff their mouths once more with the musty rags.

Rowan watched the men closely, trying to engrave each of their faces into her mind. When she would kill them, she wanted to make sure each one suffered accordingly to their actions. These men were not like the ones from Rorik. No, these men were more like the tales she was told growing up with their repulsive habits and large statures. They towered over her, the shortest being at least 6'9. Their arms were as large as her head and their clothing looked to be made out of different types of animal skins. Their leader, Kacper, sported an eyepatch and had short brown hair and hardly spoke. The others were quite the opposite, all with long greasy hair that never shut up.

She was exhausted, hungry, dirty and sore and wanted nothing more than to be back at camp in the tent with Bjorn. She thought how crazy the thought was, for only a few weeks ago she dreaded going there. But now? Now it was her safe haven.

Bjorn leaned against the cool metal, goosebumps on his skin from the icy breeze. He wondered what the others were doing back at the camp. Were they looking for them? Did they know they were taken or did they think that he and Rowan deserted them? He hoped it was the former, but whatever the case may be, he knew his father would be angry and would stop at nothing to bring him back.

As he became lost in his thoughts, the sound of the iron gate opening drew him back to reality. Caneo, a man whose skin was a deep brown, untied Bjorn from the large cage. A wave of anger washed over Bjorn and he threw his head back and brought it forward, slamming it into Caneo's temple. Caneo stumbled backwards and groaned. Then, cradling his head in one hand, he grasped Bjorn's already torn shirt and tossed him out. He landed hard on the ground and for a moment the air from his chest was knocked out. He tried his best to breath, but the gag made it hard. Caneo then jumped down from the cart and kicked him once in the side, laughing. Rowan had heard the thud and Bjorn's grunts and started yelling muffled cries at the dishonorable mercenaries.

As the large door that separated the cage opened, she was greeted with Katir, who sported a bruised nose from the night before. His face twisted in displeasure as he advanced on her. She noticed as he untied her from the cart he made sure to stay away from the range of her feet. This brought her pleasure and she couldn't help to hide her smile.

Katir grabbed her arm and dragged her from the cart as well but had the decency to not toss her onto the ground. Rowan saw Bjorn on the ground, curled into the fetal position. She had never seen him look so vulnerable and it physically hurt her that she was unable to aid him.

Kacper waved to the men, ordering them to bring them over by the fire.

Caneo picked Bjorn up and sat him on his feet, earning a cold gaze from the Rorikman.