Dirt Is Easier To Clean

Blanche rose from her throne and walked over to the two young royals, encircling them. She studied the silver-haired woman, trying to figure out what to make of her. She envied her for her beauty, strength and youth. But with youth came naivety as she lacked the years of experience Blanche herself had, especially when it came to men.

Next she studied Bjorn, taking in every inch of his tan skin. His toned muscles rippled as he shifted his weight to to his other leg and his eyebrows were slightly creased as he wondered what would become of them. His raven hair fell in tousles to his ears and he was due for a shave as stubble grew from his jaw. Blanche couldn't help but imagine what it would be like to spend a night with him, for all of the men at the fortress were too dirty and brutish.

She stopped in front of Bjorn and pulled the front of his shirt back, revealing his tattoo. He stepped backwards and raised an eyebrow at her. She smiled mischievously.

"Guards!" She called suddenly, and four large men instantly entered the room, weapons drawn.

"Take the girl to the dungeon," she ordered with a nod of her head. Rowan's face dropped and she looked at Bjorn in a panic.

"What? No! She's staying with me!" He stated, stepping towards the Gladeswoman. Just as he reached out to her two guards pulled her away as the other two restrained him, digging their hands into his shoulders.

"Bjorn! Let go of me! Bjorn!" Rowan called as they dragged her from the room and into the hall.

"Rowan!" He called back helplessly. He could hear her pleas grow fainter until they were no more.

Defeated he looked at the wooden floors and the guards released their grips. Slowly he turned around and faced Blanche, not bothering to conceal his resentment, "You better not hurt her," he demanded. If anyone laid a hand on her he would have their head.

Blanche laughed and pursed her ruby lips, "If you give me what I want I won't have too."

His thought this over for a moment. "What do you want?" He asked quietly.

Blanche shrugged her slim shoulders as if it were obvious. When Bjorn met her with a blank stare she sighed, "Perhaps we should start from the beginning," she suggested, motioning to one of two chairs by the hearth. Bjorn eyed her, then the chair and took a seat. Before Blanche joined him she called to Kacper, "Here is you and your men's pay. I took the liberty to keep Viktor's since he won't be needing it," she finished, tossing a large pouch filled with gold coins.

"Viktor played his part in getting them here just as much as the others. I think it is only fair if-" Kacper started before Blanche cut him off, "You can take the payment and leave or I can order my guards to take the gold and throw you in the dungeon. Your choice."

Kacper narrowed his eyes at the woman, playing through both scenarios. After a moment he gave a quick nod and left without another word.

Blanche sighed and took the plush chair in front of the handsome Rorik, "Ah, now where were we? Oh yes, the beginning. I assume you have noticed the banners here have you not? Or that there are both men and women working together here, yes?"

Bjorn pressed his lips together bit nodded.

"I thought so. You see, each of these four kingdoms have come together to over throw the High kings and Queens. We call ourselves the Brotherhood. For centuries they have told us what to do and when to do it. They collect a part of our profits for themselves for far too long and we intend to get rid of them once and for all," Blanche paused as she let her words sink into him.

Bjorn couldn't believe his ears. The High Kings and Queens were the rulers of their lands. They saved the world from becoming extinct by placing order and creating the Skabelse. Why would anyone want to get rid of them? They have always been fair and just to every kingdom and has provided food and supplies when kingdoms go through a rough patch. Even Rorik needed them once years ago, and they provided his men with food for a whole winter!

"I don't understand. What does this have to do with us?" Bjorn asked confused and somewhat irritated at the thought of the High Kings and Queens being challenged and again for having to repeat his question.

"It is no secret that Rorik and the Glade have always done well and flourished for the most part. Your two kingdoms are well known and respected in all of North America. We needed leverage somehow to convince them to join us and take arms against the the High Kings and Queens. For years we have planned and made preparations, trying to see when to strike. It wasn't until a few years ago the queen of Doijar suggested we gain an incentive for your kingdoms. I knew then what we had to do, and waited for the right moment. A few weeks ago we heard you and Rowan would be attending the Skabelse, practically making our job too easy," she paused to laugh before she continued, "Do you understand why the two of you come into play?"

Bjorn indeed understood how Rowan and himself were involved in this scheme. Blanche and the others intended to use them as leverage to get their kingdoms to surrender and join arms with them. Doing so would get the surrounding kingdoms to join as well, making the task of overthrowing the High Kings and Queens child's play.

He nodded, letting the woman before him know that he understood. She grinned a sly smile, "I always knew you were a smart one."

Bjorn rolled his eyes and looked into the fire to his left. His father loved him, there was no doubt about that. But their relationship always felt like it was more "business" than a typical father/son relationship like his friend's had with their fathers. His father viewed him as just another soldier in his army who would one day take his place on the throne or a pawn in the game of chess. In a way Bjorn was just another soldier, but in a year or so he would become a general and lead his armies into battle. He wondered if his father would care enough to save his son. If something happened to Bjorn the crown would be passed to Horan so technically it would still be in the family line, so would his father care?

"What do you want from us then?" He asked, pushing the troubling thoughts from his mind.

Blanche's eyes grew serious and she sat up straight, "I want a few things. You will write to your father demanding that he join us, for failure to do so will cost you your life. I also want to know how many able men your father has to fight in his armies and what your battle strategies have been in the past. Once you do as I ask I keep you as respected guests until your father replies. Afterwards you will be free to return to Rorik continue your farming until we lead our attack on the High Kings and Queens. Refusing will only bring suffering and death," she said, before adding, "Dirt is easier to clean than blood, is it not?"

Bjorn belted out a deep laugh, as this woman couldn't possibly be serious to ask such things of him. If he did what she asked then he would not only betray his father, but all of Rorik as well.

"Do you honestly think that my loyalty to my King and kingdom is so feeble that your threats would have any effect on me?" Bjorn asked, scoffing and shaking his head. His raven curls slightly bounced like springs around his ears. "I refuse to do what you ask and that's final."

Blanche smiled and leaned forward, "I think you will when your darling Gladeswoman is hanging onto her life by a thread once my men are done with her."