Harsh Words

Walking into the throne room for the first time was nothing compared to the nervousness that Bjorn and Rowan were experiencing. Nevertheless, they did their best to conceal their perturbation and held their heads high.

The room was filled with both the citizens of the palace, the men from Rorik and the Daughters of the Glade, but when they realized that the young royals were making their way forward, the throng of people parted in order to let them through. The room was quiet, making Rowan even more unsettled.

Rowan and Bjorn both bowed before the High Kings and Queens, and only assumed their normal positions before them when King Isen told them to rise and to step forward. Each took two steps towards the High Kings and Queens and waited in silence for one of them to speak.

The three High Royals looked all the way down to King Tomwulf and nodded their heads, giving him the signal to speak on their behalf.

King Tomwulf smiled smugly and stood up, placing his hands behind his back and walked to the edge of the steps, looking down at the crowed and then to Bjorn and Rowan, who noticed that his beard was trimmed and styled recently as parts of his face were red and blotchy.

"For those of you who do not know, before you stand the prince of Rorik and the princess of the Glade. These two were selected and sent as tributes for the Skabelse. In the week and a half that they were there, they failed to obey our orders and lay with one another to conceive a child. It has been reported that out of the one hundred tributes at this sacred ceremony, only six tributes had yet to do so before Rowan and Bjorn were taken. We have been informed that since their capture, the remaining four have given themselves to one another, leaving only these two to disobey. One month has gone by since the start of the ceremony, and it takes nine more for a mother to grow and birth a babe. Considering that the prince and princess will not be able to produce an offspring in the allotted time, I believe that you should be charged with treason....but the other three High Royals believe otherwise considering the loyalty you have shown while in the hands of the enemy. Saying that, the both of you you will be excused from these charges if you agree to attend the next Skabelse," King Tomwulf said, raising an eyebrow.

Bjorn looked at Rowan and met her wide eyes. She wondered if he meant that they would be paired together once more or forced to bear a child with another man. The thought caused her heart to ache in an unfamiliar way that she did not like. Besides, it did not matter at this moment, for if they did not agree the charges would not be dropped and they would be arrested for treason.

Chewing the inside of her lip, her tore her eyes from Bjorn and nodded her head. "Aye, I agree."

From the corner of her eyes, she could see Bjorn nod his head curtly, "Aye, I too agree to the terms."

If he did not know any better, he would have said that King Tomwulf narrowed his eyes at the two and a wave of displeasure could be seen on his face, but as quickly as it was revealed it was hidden by a fake smile. "Very well. I, along with Queen Nilac, Queen Via and King Isen, drop all charges against you."

The crowd cheered and Rowan and Bjorn looked at each other, relief in their eyes.

King Tomwulf quickly raised hand opened, demanding silence over the crowd.

"We must not forget that we have threats of an uprising on our hands. This so called Brotherhood threatens our very values and must therefore be eradicated. Their leader, Blanche, is at large and still has large numbers on her side. Though the attack on her fortress was successful, I highly doubt that her entire armies were slain. In the next coming days, we will have a meeting with the remaining kings and queens of the land to calculate our next move. In the meantime, we have sent out four separate scouting parties in each direction to look for Blanche and find out any information to her whereabouts. Until the next meeting is called, you are all free to do as you please," King Tomwulf finished, waving them away.

Many headed to the tavern to celebrate, and once the throne room started to clear out and Rowan and Bjorn started making their way out with the others, a deep clearing of the throat was heard behind them.

Rowan turned around slowly, already knowing who's face she would see.

King Tomwulf offered a tight smile, looking over Rowan and Bjorn with narrowed eyes. "Though the other's have granted you safety that does not mean that I agree with them. You two broke one of our most sacred laws...one of the oldest laws and I cannot turn a blind eye. You may have been cleared of all charges but I want you to personally know that am unhappy with the decision, and I also want you to know that if either of you two so much as break another one of our laws, serious or not, I will see to it that you will be reprimanded to the highest extent. Do I make myself clear?"

Bjorn clenched his jaw and stepped forward, looking him directly into his eyes. He balled his hands into fists, trying his best to not strike him as anger filled him. "Crystal," he replied in a deep, steady tone.

Rowan grabbed his arm by his bicep and pulled him away, not wanting him to make the situation worse. Walking through the large double doors, they both paused and looked over their shoulders to see that King Tomwulf's position had not changed.

She dragged him down the hallway's and corridors until they got back to her room. Once she opened the door she slung him inside, then locked it behind her.

"I have seen you do many stupid things, but that? What were you thinking?!" Rowan scolded, placing her hands on her hips. Bjorn shook his head and sat on the edge of her bed, running a tanned hand through his hair.

"I just got mad," he said, almost sounding as if he were tired.

Rowan rolled her eyes, "Bjorn, you can not treat a High King that way, no mater what emotions over come you! He could have had you arrested just for disrespecting him!"

She sighed and sat next to him on her bed. Looking around the room, she leaned in and whispered in his ear, "I do not fancy King Tomwulf either, but we must show him respect, even if he does not deserve it." She did not dare to say such things out loud, and even in the confines of her room she felt uneasy, as if someone were listening to them. She gently placed her hand on his shoulder, only to have him shrug it off. She sucked in a breath, hurt from his gesture.

Bjorn stood from the bed and made his way to the door in one swift movement. Just as he placed his hand on the knob, he paused, "I do not need to be told what to do, especially from a woman." And with that, he silently left her room.

As he made his way down the corridor, he paused, knowing he had hurt his silver-haired woman. Shaking his head, he made his way to the tavern to be in the company of his men in hopes they would clear his mind. He wanted to apologize to Rowan, but the damage was done.

Rowan sat in disbelief for a moment, processing Bjorn's actions. His words cut deeper than any blade could. She had experienced her feeling getting hurt in the past, but coming from him was different. Did I do something wrong? She thought about the things she said to him, trying to figure out what made him treat her in such a manner. Was it how I brought him into my room? Or what I said to him? Coming up blank, she grumbled to herself and undressed, slipping into her night clothes and laid down in bed even though it was still early, hoping that sleep would keep her mind off of the Rorik.

But over the next few hours she thought about nothing but Bjorn. She could not ignore her heavy heart and decided that perhaps they needed some time away from each other considering they had been together constantly for the past month. And if he does want to talk to me he is going to have to apologize first. She played his words over and over in her mind, growing only more hurt and angry. "I do not need to be told what to do, especially from a woman...." I thought he had long ago gotten past the fact that I am a women?! Why does this bother him now?!

More time passed leading well into the night, and with each set of footsteps she heard she hoped it would be Bjorn coming to apologize, but each one would eventually pass by.

Another hour passed before she heard a slight knock on the door. Almost instantly she could feel her heart beat quicken as she hoped it would be him. A large part of her wanted to talk to him and forgive him and act as if nothing happened, but another part of her was still very angry with him and did not even want to look upon his face.

After another soft knock she sighed and got up, walking to the door. With a deep breath she opened it, but the face she saw was one that she did not expect to see.