Liberation

As the two young royals entered the packed auditorium, Rowan noticed a different atmosphere filled the air then the first time she had entered the vast room and it was one that left her nerves scattered, begging to find respite.

Her blue eyes skimmed the mass of heads, noticing that many of the tribes and kingdoms sat intermingled together, before looking up to the stage that once accommodated her High kings and Queens. But instead of seeing Isen, Tomwulf, Nilac and Via, the remaining leaders of each kingdom that had fought on either side now stood in their place.

Rowan internally groaned as she realized that she too would have to take to the stage. Bjorn felt her tense and tried his best to conceal his laugh. He was not used to seeing his brave and daring Gladeswomen dismayed over the idea of public speaking. "Rowan," he said, stopping them a few feet away from the stairs of the stage.

Rowan swallowed and looked up at him, still enjoying the way her name sounded on his tongue. His emerald eyes bore into hers and she could feel herself begin to calm down slightly.

He leaned forward and placed a soft warm kiss on her forehead before lifting her chin up with his finger and thumb. "This will all be over soon, and when it is, we can try to get back to our normal lives as best as we can, yes?"

Rowan searched his face for any sign of doubt, but there was none. Rowan quickly looked over her shoulders before firmly grasping his wrist and leading him away from the crowd. Leaning in closely, she lowered her voice into a whisper. "But my life can't be normal anymore. In a matter of a few months I've met you as well as many others that I fear I will never see again. I've lost my mother and many friends...and for the first time since our history began we are without High Kings and Queens and it's up to us to elect new ones. What if we don't make the right choice?"

Bjorn chewed the inside of his cheek and shrugged. "We will, though."

The Gladeswoman shook her head and looked down at her leather boots, causing a stray strand of hair fall into her eyes. "How can you be so calm?"

Bjorn placed his fingers on her chin again, forcing her to meet his gaze. "Because I know that no matter what happens after tonight, everything will work out. We have achieved so much in so little time for it not to. Yes, we have lost our parents along with many other loved ones, but I know that once everything is over, it will be worth it and they would be happy with the outcome that we are given."

"And you truly believe that?" Rowan found it hard to have faith in his words, but knowing that he believed in them was good enough for her.

Bjorn flashed her a smile and kissed her lips before pulling away, "Would I ever lie to you love?"

Rowan couldn't help but to return his infectious smile, feeling a small amount of relief. "I suppose not."

Bjorn snaked his hands with hers, interlacing their fingers as he led her back to the stage as people found their seats in the array of benches. Many were left standing and leaning against the walls as there were more than a thousand people in the large room, including all of the townsfolk and palace grounds workers. Rowan raised an eyebrow to herself, surprised at the meetings turnout. I guess everyone wants to see the show.

The two young royals walked up the steep stone steps and joined their counterparts on the platform. There were seventeen in total including the nine that initially fought for the High Kings and Queens and the eight who took up arms against them. It was difficult for everyone not to have hard feelings against them as they took part in the betrayal and death of their rightful leaders, but given that they surrendered there wasn't much that they could do at the moment.