25

Jennifer and I walk into the house and I'm instantly hit with the smell of her mom's cooking. Her dad is out of town for the week, so it's just the girls tonight. I know she (Jennifer) is nervous about this, but it isn't like she has a choice.

"Ma?" Jen yells. "In here!" We hear her mom call back, so she starts walking that way. She stops in the door way and spins around to face me very quickly. "What?!" I laugh. "I'm sorry..." she says and pulls her ring off of her finger and sticks it into her pocket. I sigh and shake my head, but she ignores me and keeps walking.

We sit down for dinner and the conversation is pretty normal at first. From what I've seen, her mother is great, she's super sweet. I can hear the nervousness in Jennifer's voice right now though. "I really wanted to see you tonight because I have a couple things I need to tell you about." Jennifer explains to her mom as she pokes at her food with the fork. She glances up at me and I just listen. "I um... First of all, Leah and I are engaged." She says. I wasn't expecting that to be her first announcement ... I look at Jennifer and then at her mom. "Oh... are you?" Her mom asks, shocked. "Yeah. I- we care a lot about each other, mom. It's not just some dramatic thing because of my split with Aaron." Jen says. "I never said it was, it's just... it's soon." Her mother expresses concern and I speak up, "it is, but it's right. I think it'll make a little more sense to you after you've heard the entire story." I say, leading Jennifer into her next announcement. She takes a breath and licks her lips.

"Before Aaron and I split... I guess we had a little slip up and I- uh... I'm pregnant." She says softly and looks down at her plate. I know her mom is the one of the hardest people for her to tell. "What?" Her mom asks, eyes wide and scanning between both Jennifer and myself. I stand up and walk over to Jennifer and put my hand on her head and she instantly leans her head against my stomach and puts an arm around my thigh. "She just found out recently and was trying to find a good time to tell you." I say and Jennifer sniffles so I know she's crying. I use my hand to rub her head softly and her mom just stares at me.

"I'm sorry... this is- Jennifer, look at me!" She says and Jennifer slowly looks up at her mother and wipes her eye. "You're having Aaron's baby, but you're marrying Leah?" She asks. I raise my eyebrows and her mom just waits for one of us to say something. "Yeah, ma. It wasn't planned out and it wasn't what I was expecting, but shit happens. Aaron and I made that choice and it just happened!" Jennifer says and releases my leg. "I can't believe this... does he know?" "Yes, he knows." "And he is okay with Leah raising his baby? Leah, no offense to you! You're a wonderful girl, but I just saw this working out much differently for my daughter..." her mother says. I don't say anything because I am offended...

"Mom, please! Stop. I didn't come here so that you could just put me down and make me feel like a screw up. It is what it is! I love Leah and she is the person I want to be with. Aaron is okay with this. She's not raising the kid, ma. Aaron is going to be in the baby's life just as much as I am!" Jennifer starts to explain and I put my hand on her shoulder. "Leah takes care of me in so many ways and I have never experienced that with anyone. Danny and Aaron both treated me like shit at times, I have never ever had a moment of doubt with Leah. Do you know what that's like? I feel good for once... Danny cheated on me for years and Aaron- he wasn't as great as you thought he was." Jennifer explains. My heart beats fast when I hear the way she talks about me. "What do you mean, baby?! Aaron was great!" Her mom insists. She really liked Aaron and I know she was probably more upset than Jennifer was when they broke up.

Jennifer starts crying and I don't even need to ask why. She pushes her face to my body and I close my eyes and hold her there. I glance at her mom and shake my head, wanting her to stop talking.

"Come on..." I say and get Jennifer to stand up and walk with me to the guest bedroom. I close the door quietly and she sits down on the bed and looks at me, "Leah, I just wanted this to be okay!" She cries. I pout my lip out and hug her, "hey, it is okay. She's just in shock right now. You know how it is... give her a few days and she'll come around and it'll all be okay." I assure her, rubbing her thighs. "I'm not even worried about the baby right now, Leah! What about us? Are we even okay?" She asks. This totally blindsides me. "What?! Of course we are! What are you talking about?" "I feel like I'm lying to my mom about us. I meant everything I said about you and our relationship, but today- I just can't shake it." She says. I hug her tightly and a wave of guilt overcomes me. "Baby.... no. I didn't mean to come across like that. I was frustrated for a minute, but it's fine. We're okay, I love you so so so much." I assure her. She nods her head and I wipe her tears away as she stops crying. "Come here." I whisper and kiss her lips slowly. "I'm proud of you, Jennifer." She kisses me again and I smile, "I love you. Get calmed down and clean yourself up. I'll go help your mom and talk to her, alright?"

I walk into the kitchen and help her mom clean things up. "What was that?" Her mother asks, breaking the silence. "Jennifer and Aaron had some difficulties in their relationship. He didn't treat her like she should've been, but no one else knew that. The only reason I found out is because-" I pause and realize the story I'm telling. Shit. "Jennifer and I were, um- yeah. And I saw something. I asked her about it and to make a long story short, Aaron got a little bit physical with her one night. She was scared and hurt, but please don't bring it up. She's okay and he's nothing to worry about anymore." I explain. You can imagine how her mom is after hearing this, but thankfully I'm able to get her calm before Jennifer walks into the room again.

"I think we're gonna head home." Jennifer announces. Her mom nods and they hug and whatnot, things are a little bit tense but it'll get better with time. "Love you, be safe." She says. Before I have the chance to walk behind Jen, her mom grabs my arm, "please... look out for my girl, Leah." She begs. I smile and nod my head, "I always do."