Thirteen

"Rock 'n Roll is here to stay, come inside where it's ok and I'll shake you" ~Thirteen - Big Star

"Great sermon today," Charli's dad said as he unlocked the front door to the house "A lot to think on, don't you agree?"

"Yeah da'" Charli said impatiently. Once inside she ran upstairs to her bedroom and closed the door. She kicked off her shoes, took off her parents' cardigan and dress. She exchanged her church clothes for a pair of grey trousers, a black fitted t-shirt, and a striped button-down shirt. Rather than buttoning the shirt, she tied it off at her waist. The cuffs of her trousers were rolled and instead of the dull white church shoes, she put on a pair of short black boots.
She put her hair up and topped the outfit off with a dark grey Edwardian style riding coat.
"Perfect," she said to herself. She rushed down the stairs.

"Charlotte! Where do you think you're going?" her father asked.
"Out with Jenny," she said opening the door.

"Like that?" Her mother said, "I hardly feel that's appropriate!"

"What? I'm covered" Charlie sighed angrily.

"Your shirt," her mother said untying the knot "how barbaric"
"MUM! STOP!" Charlie said retying the knot at her waist "I'm wearing a shirt underneath!"

"Charlotte, we still need to talk about last night," her father said

"Yeah, da'...I know, don't come home too late." She said exasperatedly.

"Home by dinner. No later, its Sunday night" he said finally.

"Yeah da'" Charlie said rushing out the door.

Charli sighed in relief as she shut the door.

"'bout time," a young girl with auburn hair dressed similarly to her said waiting on her front step.

"Shh...Let's go before they change their mind" Charli said handing Jenny a cigarette from her coat pocket.

The two girls made their way along the pier, chatting the whole way.

"How was church?" Jenny laughed

"Same old really" Charli shrugged.

"Did you manage to stay awake? I didn't get home until midnight, you were still in Woolton by the time I left" Jenny said nudging Charli, nearly knocking her off the wall they were walking along.

"Sod off!" Charli laughed catching herself. "How do I look by the way?"

Jenny rolled her eyes, they'd been friends for awhile, and it wasn't something Charli had ever cared about up until last year. Charli's red hair was pulled back with a bit of fringe hanging down, a few freckles spotting her nose.  Charli was shorter than Jenny.  She had dark copper hair which she got from her father and dark eyebrows. Much as she was definitely not a kid anymore, Jenny always found her adorable and knew it bothered Charli.

Jenny laughed "You look adorable" Jenny, on the other hand, had no trouble getting attention. She had perfect auburn hair, was tall and had a stunning face. She introduced Charli to Teddy Girl fashion. Jenny's mother was also less strict and allowed her to wear makeup.
"I don't want to look adorable!" Charli whined "I wanna' look cool"

Jenny laughed again "Charli, stop worrying. He likes you no matter what alright?"

"Thanks for being my cover" Charli grinned.

They continued walking a short while; when a voice came up behind them "Fancy meeting you here" he said.

Charli smiled, Jenny rolled her eyes.