Stay High

"I fall back down. Gotta stay high all my life to forget I'm missing you" ~Stay High - Tove Lo 

**Trigger warning: abuse, addiction, implied overdose**

New York, 28 August 1966

The first letter arrived the afternoon of the 28th of August. Charli arrived home from her appointment, she hadn't been expecting anything so soon.

"Charli!" Sophie sang out "You've got mail!"

Charli raised her eyebrow at Sophie's excitement but went to the kitchen counter where the mail was sitting.

"How was your appointment?" Eddie asked as he handed her a coke.

"Fine," she said absentmindedly as she sifted through the mail, she had just come from an appointment with her psychiatrist "We came up with some plans if I decide to confront me parents"

Finally, she found a letter with familiar handwriting.

"That was fast," She laughed opening it.

My Dearest Charli,

I'm writing you from Seattle, we arrived this morning. Mal and I met the rest in Los Angeles and enjoyed a bit of time off. Not as much as I enjoyed spending with you.

We have 2 concerts, we're all a bit knackered from this tour, I think we're all looking forward to returning to England. I only wish you were coming with me.

I already miss you and can't stop thinking of you, I can't wait to see you again, to make love to you again and kiss every inch of your body again.

I'll write again when we're back in LA.

Always yours,

Paul

"Girl," Lily said over Charli's shoulder startling her "If that's how he's starting his letters, I'm going to need a shower every time you get mail"

"Fuckin' nosey git!" Charli laughed folding the letter quickly.

Charli sat in the nook sketching and smoking a joint, she had drawn a very psychedelic portrait of herself and Paul.

"Charli," Eddie said looking over her shoulder on the couch "That is stunning!"

"Nah, just mucking about" She sighed exasperated as she exhaled a large cloud of smoke and passed Eddie the joint "He's always liked my art, figured I would send him some artwork along with my letter"

Eddie smiled as he inhaled.

"Hey, I've got a friend who's running a small magazine for the gay community in Greenwich," he began "They're always looking for artists to run adverts for their events, think you might be interested while you're still in New York?"

"Sounds good" Charli smiled.

"Groovy!" Eddie laughed "I'll get you in touch with Greg"

Eddie paused a moment looking at the recent artwork she'd done.

"Hey Charli," he asked "When do you think you'll be moving to London?"

"I don't even know if I am yet," she laughed "He's still got to sort things out with his life over there, doesn't he? And he's still on tour"

"You know he's going to" Eddie encouraged.

"I hope so" Charli said. "Want ta' make a trip to the post shop with me?"

She grabbed her artwork and letter and she and Eddie were on their way.

London, 08 September 1966