You Don't Own Me

"You don't own me, don't try to change me in any way"~You Don't Own Me-Lesley Gore

20 April 1968, 2.15pm

"I'm tired of being an adult" Charli pouted cuddling up to Paul "I'd rather just stay here like this all day"

It was well into the afternoon, Charli had a show the night before, both she and Paul had been out late as a result.

"Sorry kitten," Paul smiled as he played with a strand of her hair "I did let you sleep in"

"Let me sleep in?" She laughed "As I recall, I gave you the wake-up call this afternoon...although somebody was already awake from what I could feel"

"Can't help it," he said pulling her on top of himself "If you had any idea what you do in me dreams..."

"If ya' tol' me," Charli said kissing along his neck "I could make it a reality, I'm up for another round"

Paul groaned "I'd love another round," he said trying to calm down "But you and I both have things to do this afternoon, aren't ya' meeting with Mika?"

"You're not fair" Charli protested "But you're right..."

"I can promise to make it up to ya's tonight," Paul said pulling her close.

*

"I've got ta' meet with Johnny and Alex," Paul explained answering Charli's question as he finished brushing his teeth "About this upcoming New York trip to promote Apple, you're still coming yeah?"

"Of course!" Charli said happily, she then frowned "Does Alex really have ta' come?"

"C'mon luv, he's brilliant with electronics," Paul said, "Why don't ya' like him?"

"For one, he bloody well tries to hit on me anytime he's around," Charli said as she finished applying the perfect wing to her eye (a technique she was proud to have mastered).

"He's Greek," Paul laughed "Ya' know, passion and all that shite"

"I also think he's taking you and John for a bit of a ride," Charli said seriously. Paul was silent, he liked Alex, but he also knew Charli could be right.

"Right, I should run...I need to fill the mini before I head to the studio," Charli changed the subject "Can't believe we're actually starting a school for circus arts...and that Mika wants me as a teacher!"

"Don't worry about the mini," Paul smiled "I can drop you off on my way to John's if you're alright catching a ride home or walking"

"Uncharacteristically sunny London day?" Charli noted "I think I'll be fine with a walk home. It's only 15 minutes away walking"

*

It was later that afternoon. The gate had been quiet when Charli and Paul left for their various meetings, it had seemed odd given the weather and it being a Saturday. She'd had a very successful and exciting meeting with Mika and Jillian about taking in students, she felt optimistic and couldn't wait for their next show in a couple weeks. As Charli turned onto Cavendish Avenue, she noticed several papers strewn about the street, it seemed strange given the neighbourhood's thoughts on cleanliness and litter. She picked up one of the papers and gasped, it was a page from Hawthorne Woods. She glanced around, realising the papers were all from her book, at least 10 books had to have been destroyed to create the mess and it got even worse as she approached her home.

There was a horde of girls at the gate, they'd scrawled "WHORE" in big white letters on the gate.

"What the fuck??" Charli said going pale as she approached the gate.