Too Much Rain

"It's alright, in your life; no more rain"~Too Much Rain - Paul McCartney

26 December 1957, 9.42pm

It was the day after Christmas, Charli loved Christmas for a multitude of reasons, the least of which was her parents felt the need to be kinder.

She had Jenny over in the afternoon for tea and gift sharing. That night, her mother had made a lovely dinner. Both Mr and Mrs McLeod had gone to bed early. Charli, was awake in her room listening to her records quietly as she worked on a new drawing. She thought she heard something outside the window, but dismissed it as a crack in the record.

Suddenly, there was a loud splat against the window causing her to startle, she looked to see a splat of snow running down the glass.

She curiously opened the window.

"Hey Charli," Paul said quietly below the window "Thank god that was actually yer room"

"Hey Paulie," Charli smiled "Happy Christmas"

"Happy Christmas to you," He said, "What are ya' up to?"

"Nothin' really," Charli answered "Just drawing"

"Want ta' go for a walk?" Paul asked.

"Sure," Charli said "Me parents went to bed ages ago...I'll meet you out back"

Charli grabbed her coat and slipped into her boots, taking extra care to hide the creaks of the floorboards against her father's snoring. She quietly snuck out the back door, closing it as silently as possible behind her. It was a difficult feat, but she was excited. She expected there was some sort of impromptu Christmas get together Paul would take her to after they picked up Jenny of course.

"Hey kitten," Paul said greeting her. Charli looked at him confused.

"Kitten?" She asked cocking her head as Paul turned red.

"It's alright," she laughed "I like it. Where are we goin'?"

"It's a surprise" he grinned. "C'mon, let's go before they wake up"

"No chance, Da' passed out drunk" Charli explained as they started walking "I had to help mum get him up the stairs"

Paul seemed taken aback at a situation that seemed so normal to Charli.

"It doesn't happen that often..." Charli explained "Just Christmas and New Years"

The air was cold and fresh with snow.

They walked on further, both chatting about their Christmases and joking about whatever they could before passing Jenny's house. Charli noticed the lights on as they walked by and figured they would be stopping to get Jenny, however, that wasn't the case.

"We're not gettin' Jen?" Charli asked.

"Not tonight," Paul answered "Thought it could just be me and you if that's alright"

Charli nodded as a smile crept across her face. She had been gaining feelings for Paul and knew Jenny was trying to push them together, but she was also nervous at what everything meant.

They walked on in silence for a while before Paul reached for her hand and grasped it as they continued their walk. Charli's heart was already racing, she knew her parents would be livid if they saw her and Paul together, but she also felt excitement at his touch.

Soon, they reached Strawberry Field. Paul helped her climb the gate as they walked their favourite park in the quiet of winter.

They stopped on a small hill overlooking the park. The walk through Strawberry Field had been fairly quiet, each speaking occasionally about life and friends.