Fourfiveseconds

"I think I've had enough, might get a little drunk, I say what's on my mind. I might do a little time.  Cause all of my kindness is taken for weakness" - Rihanna, Kanye West, Paul McCartney

July 1959

"Charlotte, really I don't understand the rush!" Charli's mother said as Charli tried rushing her parents to get ready.
It was the day of the fete and she couldn't wait.
"I promised I'd meet Jenny," she said anxiously.

"And I have baking I need to gather, Jenny can wait," Mrs. McLeod said sternly. "What on earth are you wearing?"

"Clothes," Charli said rolling her eyes. Her mother looked disapprovingly at her rolled jeans, flats, and black sweater, that in her mind seemed just a bit too tight. Charli adjusted her hair and tied a small, blue scarf at her neck, using the toaster oven as a mirror.

"Charlotte," Mr. McLeod cut in, "I thought you were going to wear the dress we set out for you"

Charli sighed, exasperated. "It's July, it's hot out...that dress is too warm! Plus I'm old enough to dress myself"

"Honestly," Mrs. McLeod said as she finished sorting the baking she planned to sell "I don't understand why you can't be more like little Sally Prescott from church."

"Because she's boring" Charli groaned "Let's go!"

"At least she minds her parents," Mr. McLeod said disapprovingly.

As the McLeod family arrived at the fete, they were greeted by the Prescott family. Charli hurriedly helped her mother organize her baking, she could hear the band starting and didn't want to miss them.
"Molly! So glad to see you've brought your famous jam tarts" Mrs. Prescott greeted her. "And little Charlotte, such interesting clothes"
"Not so little anymore Mrs. Prescott," Charli said as she grabbed another tray of jam tarts

"Charlotte decided to dress herself today," Mrs. McLeod said. Charli shot her mother a look.
"Oh, Charlotte! It's so lovely to see you" a girl with light blonde hair, the same age as Charlotte, clad in a sundress, cardigan and sun hat said.

"Yeah, you too, Sally," Charli said annoyed.

"I like your....scarf," Sally said with a smile.

"Yeah, thanks," Charli said "Mum, can I go now?"

"Fine Charlotte, but why don't you take Sally with you?" Mrs. McLeod said. Charli grimaced but knew she couldn't argue.

"Fine" she rolled her eyes "Try to keep up, I told Jenny I'd meet her for ice cream"

Charli wasn't keen on Sally, Sally had a tendency to snitch and was more malicious than she let on when she wanted to be.

"Charli!" Jenny said as they found each other "'bout time you got here! They've already started playing, let's go!"

"Sorry, Jen! Mum insisted I help her sort 7 trays of jam tarts...ugh!" Charli said exasperatedly.
"....Hi, Sally," Jenny said noticing the blonde following Charlotte
"Hello, Jennifer!" Sally smiled "Charlotte said we were meeting for ice cream...funny, the ice cream stall seems to be on the other side of the green."
"Its Jenny" Jenny corrected Sally "and..oops."

"Come off it Sally, just be cool," Charli said as they walked on.

I'm gonna' tell Aunt Mary about Uncle John

They heard a familiar young voice scream over the speakers on the stage.
"Aaah! We're missing it!" Charli said grabbing Jenny's hand and running for the stage. Sally running alongside her as well.