Mad World

"Hide my head, I want to drown my sorrow
No tomorrow, no tomorrow"
  ~Mad World - Gary Jules

January 1960

2 weeks had gone by since Christmas. School had started again.
Jenny sat staring out the window of her maths classroom.
"Jennifer!" the teacher yelled causing Jenny to jump. "Please pay attention!"
Jenny did as she was told, for a moment before getting lost in her thoughts again.

"Have you heard from her at all?" Claudia asked as she and Jenny stood in the busy school hallways between classes. She shook her head.
"Paul said what he saw on boxing day was horrible," Jenny said sadly "poor lad was in tears when he tol' me and mum about it"
"Have you tried going to her house?" Claudia asked. She had only learned how bad Charli's home life was just before Christmas, as the leader of the teddy girls, she showed more concern than most would expect of her, however, she felt a need to take care of her group of friends despite her tough persona.

"They've boarded up the bloody windows," Jenny said, "Her parents are bloody insane...honestly, Claudia..what if?"

Jenny feared the worst as tears welled in her eyes.
"Shh..don't think like that" Claudia said "We're going over today. After school...and we're not leaving until we see her"
"Excuse me," a timid voice interrupted. Claudia looked up from her conversation with Jenny, her brow furrowed, anger was written all over her face.

"The fuck do you want?" she said as Jenny turned to see who it was.
"I just wanted to talk with Jennifer," Sally said finally.

"I don't want to talk to you," Jenny said turning her back on Sally.
"I know you hate me, but I was wondering if you've seen Charlotte," Sally said nervously. Jenny turned back to her.

"She hasn't been to church lately.." Sally continued. Jenny wanted to hurt Sally and Claudia was ready for a fight.

"I haven't seen her...no one has...not since Christmas," Jenny said coolly.

Sally looked at her feet, not sure what to say.

"I didn't mean to get her in so much trouble..." she said finally without looking up.  She couldn't bring herself to look at Jenny and Claudia.

"Trouble??" Jenny said angrily "Do you have any idea what her parents do to her?? For all I know, she could be dead by now!!"

She stormed out of the school, Claudia paused a moment to see Sally hiding tears.

"Tell her I'm sorry.." Sally said finally.

"Sorry isn't going to cover it," Claudia said angrily before running after Jenny.

"Jen!" Claudia called "Where are you going?"

"I'm finding out what's going on right now," Jenny said angrily "I'm going to her house"

"I'm coming with you!" Claudia said as she caught up "Ya' need the support luv"

Jenny smiled weakly in agreement.

Soon, they arrived at the McLeod house. Claudia stepped back in shock. The windows were closed, Mr. McLeod had boarded them from the outside as well. They saw the family car parked outside.

"I know they're home...Paul and I walked by the other night and could see lights on under the doorway..." Jenny said angrily.
She began pounding on the door as hard as she could.

"I know you're home!" She screamed, "I just want to see my best friend!"

She kept pounding the door. She pounded the door so hard her hands were bruised.