Asleep

TRIGGER WARNING: Abuse

"Sing me to sleep, sing me to sleep....there is another world, there is a better world" - Asleep ~ The Smiths

October/November 1959

It was late autumn in Liverpool. The weather had become much colder, school had been back in session for some time. There had been more shows at The Casbah Club, more nights out with Jenny, Claudia, and Neville. Charli had snuck out more and there had been many more nights she and Paul spent together. With Charli's growing rebellious spirit, there had also been more disagreements and violence in her family life.

"At least they're letting you wear makeup like a big girl now" Jenny teased as they walked through a park nearby their school.

"Yeah," Charli scoffed grabbing a cigarette from Jenny, "I think its just so they can make sure if I have any bruises they're covered. Can't possibly turn up to church with a beat up face"

Jenny had noticed Charli had recently become more jaded towards her parents, she wasn't as fearful as she'd been a couple years before.

"You don't seem to let it affect you anymore," Jenny said. Charli shrugged.

"It still hurts, it still upsets me, but it pisses me off," she said "I don't know if he thinks it's going to bring me closer to God or what...but it's not working"

Jenny shook her head. She couldn't wait until they were out of school, Paul and Charli often spoke about it, the 3 spoke at great length, they'd all move into a flat together working on music, art and enjoying life.

"Onto happier things, how many times have you and Paul slept together?" Jenny grinned.

"Do you mean actual sleep or..." Charli laughed exhaling her ciggie.

"Oh come off it, you know what I mean!" Jenny laughed.

"It's not like I'm keeping a bloody tally or anything, but at least after every Casbah night," she laughed. "I don't know how to describe it, Jen, even just sleeping next to him...I feel closer to him than ever." she continued and blushed as she said it.  She shook her head laughing at herself, she'd never been one to admit anything of the sort.

"Hey, what's happening with you and Neville??" Charli asked quickly changing the topic. Jenny blushed.

"What was that? You never blush over boys!" Charli laughed nearly falling off the swing she was sitting on.

"Sod off!" Jenny laughed "We like each other...a lot"

"Aw...wee Jen is growing up" Charli poked fun. "Oh! What time is it? I don't wanna' miss art..that's the one subject I actually excel at"

"Relax, we have plenty of time...besides weren't we meeting the lads?" Jenny asked.

"Yeah, but Paul knows if he doesn't bail before I leave for art class he doesn't get to see me until tonight" Charli explained. They heard the familiar voices of Paul and George laughing together no sooner than Charli had explained this.

"Speaking of the lads," Jenny said.

"'Ello girls," Paul said as they arrived. "Just me and George today...Neville couldn't make it out," he turned to Jenny "Sorry Jen"

"Its alright" Jenny said "George and I can chat...I don't always need a snog session, unlike some people"

"Sod off Jenny!" Charli laughed as Paul's arms went around her.

"Right, wanna' go for a walk, Jenny?" George asked "I can tell ya' the songs we're playing at the next Casbah show"

"Sure George!" Jenny said amiably "I can tell when we're not wanted"