The First Taste

"I do not struggle in your web because it was my aim to get caught.
But daddy longlegs I fear, that I'm finally growing weary of waiting to be consumed by you" ~The First Taste - Fiona Apple 

New York, 21 December 1966

Charli sat on the kitchen counter of her shared flat, most of her things were packed and the flat was surprisingly quiet considering her going away party would be that night. She smoked her cigarette as she spoke with Paul over the phone.

"Have they gone completely daft?" she laughed.
"Right potty luv," Paul said "There's a rumour that I'm dead, apparently as a Beatle I can't just leave for a while without some conspiracy cropping up. I've had to hold a few interviews...which have been ridiculous"

"As far as I'm concerned, you're the real Paul McCartney" Charli teased "And I know him pretty intimately"

"You could say that," he laughed softly "How is everything in New York?"

"Great...bittersweet," Charli admitted as she inhaled her cigarette "We went out Christmas tree shopping last week, found a bloody good one and decorated it in a night. My last show was last night, I got a few parting trinkets and a bouquet from Helen that's almost as big as me!"

"Well, much as I know the New Yorkers are goin' ta' miss ya's...I can't deny, I'm happy you're coming home" Paul said warmly "And at Christmas no less!"

Charli smiled at the thought. Home. She loved hearing him say it, she wasn't going to "his" home. She was going home. She had only ever dreamed of sharing a home with him, after everything that had happened, it seemed unreal.
Her thoughts and conversation were interrupted as Lily, Sophie and Eddie entered the flat with decorations and food for the party.

"Charli!" Sophie called chucking a box of Christmas lights to her "What are you doing on the counter lazing about? Your party is this evening!"

Charli laughed, she was looking forward to the party and spending her last hours in New York with her flatmates.

"Right," Paul said on the other end of the line "I should let ya's spend time with yer mates. Your flight leaves at 10.30 tomorrow night and that puts you in London around 10.30 on the 23rd. I'll send someone to meet you at the airport and bring you home luv"

"Can't wait!" Charli said excitedly "First class even, you really do spoil me luv"
"Only the best for me girl," Paul laughed "Have fun tonight, I love ya' Charli"

"Love you too" she smiled as she hung up the phone.

"Come on Charlotte," Eddie said with a grin knowing it would get her moving fast "You'll get to see him soon, we get you tonight!"

Charli had already hopped off the counter to try and tackle Eddie after calling her by her real name before helping decorate the flat as snow began to fall.

**

"Does anybody actually know what this bloke is saying?" Charli laughed as The Kingsmen's Louie, Louie played loudly.

"I can make out a few words..." Lily laughed as he handed her a drink "Mainly 'Louie, Louie...oh, baby...and we gotta' go"

"So what are your plans for tomorrow, Charli?" Helen asked sitting next to her on the couch.

"Making sure I have all my shite together" Charli laughed "We're going out for a walk in the afternoon, the whole flat...then a nice dinner, and then I'm off. Flight leaves at 10.30 tomorrow night"
"Do you want to grab brunch with me?" Helen smiled "I say brunch because I'm assuming we'll all be a bit hung over tomorrow morning for breakfast"
Charli laughed as she took a drink.
"I would love to grab brunch with you, Helen," Charli said happily.