Ribbons Undone

"You're a girl
Rising from a shell
Running through spring
With summer's hand in reach now
...It is your time
So just run with ribbons undone" ~ Ribbons Undone - Tori Amos

22 December 1969 4.29pm

Charli stood watching the students rehearsing for the opening of Christmas Land in 2 days.
"Yes!" She cried out happily "Evie! That was bloody perfection!"
Evie smiled happily as she stepped onto the mat.
"Thank you Mrs. McCartney," Evie giggled.
"Everyone," Charli said "Take 10 minutes, get a drink and be ready to take it again."

As the students cleared the studio area to have a drink and relax Charli stepped onto the mat and grabbed a silk in her hand, climbing a short way up.
"Do you really think someone in your condition should be climbing silks?" Mika laughed.
"Just a small climb" Charli groaned "I don't want to wait 6 months, I'll go stale!"
"No you won't," Mika smiled "You'll still be teaching, that will keep it fresh in your mind"
Charli smiled, she had just barely started to show.
"Just had a 3 month check up" Charli grinned mischievously as she stepped back onto the mat "Everything is fine, the baby is healthy. I think it's good for her to get used to circus"
"How is Paul through all this?" Jillian asked.
"Fine," Charli said "I think the baby is what's keeping him going, he's been quite depressed about things relating to The Beatles"
"I've heard rumours," Mika said quietly "Is it true they've broken up?"
"I don't know for certain," Charli sighed "It seems so and Paul is taking it pretty hard to be honest"
"But he has you!" Jillian teased "And the two of you are having a baby"
"I know," Charli said "But really, he grew up in a band, with the other three and right now...they're not talking to each other. I think he's a bit lost"
"Keep it quiet," Charli hushed as students began filtering back into the studio "It's not public knowledge and for all I know they could be recording again by New Years"

"Alright everyone," Mika said as students gathered "We're going to take that again from the top"
"Oh my god!" Christine said excitedly tugging at Julie's shirt. Charli turned around realising their excitement only could mean one thing.

"Hey Paulie," She smiled "I wasn't expectin' ya's"
"Just wanted to make sure the school I'm funding is up to snuff," Paul said "And make sure certain teachers aren't overexerting themselves"
"We're huge fans!" Julie said as she and Christine ran up to him "We'd be so thankful if you could sign a few things for us"
"Girls," Charli chided "Later. You have work to do now, we're 2 days from a show"
Christine and Julie pouted.
"I'll sign after rehearsal," Paul smiled weakly "Don't want ta' distract anyone, just stopping by"
"I told you he would," Christine said as they walked back to their lyras.
"His hair is so long now," Julie giggled "I love how Scouse they talk to each other"
Much as Paul had been amiable upon his arrival, Charli could tell he wasn't quite himself.
"Mika.." Charli began.
"I'll get rehearsal started," Mika smiled "Don't worry luv"
"Ta" Charli said before turning her attention to Paul who smiled weakly at her.

"Hey kitten," he said.
"Hey yourself," Charli teased "Everything alright?"
"I ..I" Paul began as her arms went around him "I really needed to see you"
"Oh sweetheart" Charli soothed "I'm sorry we're running a bit late...I just want everything to be perfect and.."
"It's fine luv," Paul said hugging her close "I didn't want ta' stay at home drinking, and I wanted to see you, so I'm here"
"I know you're going through a rough patch luv," she said running a hand through his hair "But things will get better"
"I hope yer right," Paul said sadly. "I feel so bloody useless"
"You're not" Charli smiled "You're the perfect husband, you're going to be a fantastic father and you're a brilliant musician who's just a bit lost right now"
Paul smiled finally.
"Ya' know just how to pick me up," He said, "Still keen for dinner tonight?"
"Thought I'd leave that up to you," Charli answered "But yes, if we still have reservations"
"Course we do," Paul said before kissing her lightly "I should let ya's get back to rehearsal"