Fade Into You

"I wanna hold the hand inside you, I wanna take the breath that's true" ~Fade Into You - Mazzy Star  

29th August 1959

"Bloody hell...I still look like shite" Charli said looking in the bathroom mirror, she'd just finished showering and was hoping by now her bruises would have disappeared. However, there were still a few varying colours of purples, blues, and greens. It was Saturday, The Quarrymen would be starting their residency at The Casbah Club that night and it was her second birthday celebration. She had hoped her face would be healed by then.

When she was younger, her reaction to her father's anger was fear and submission. As she stared at her face in the mirror, inspecting the bruise...she didn't feel fear, she felt anger.

"Fuck him, ruined my birthday..." she said as she got dressed.

Mr. and Mrs. McLeod sat at the dining room table eating breakfast. Charli appeared at the foot of the stairs.
"Morning Charlotte," her father said somewhat warmly. Her eyes narrowed, since her birthday...it seemed like everything that had happened, was simply forgotten.

"How did you sleep dearie?" her mother asked.

"Fine. thanks." Charli bit as she grabbed a couple slices of toast.

"Charlotte, why don't you join us for breakfast?" Mr. McLeod smiled "I know you've woken a bit late sleepy head, but your mother made a lovely Saturday morning breakfast"

"I'm fine, thanks, da'" She said spreading a bit of jam on her toast with only a bit of difficulty and ate it quickly without sitting at the table. She threw on the leather jacket Paul had borrowed her a few days earlier and started for the door.

"Charlotte, where are you going?" Mrs. McLeod asked.

"To Jenny's...and yes, I'm going like this," she said sarcastically indicating the outfit she'd chosen.
"Wait, before you go," Mr. McLeod said standing up. Charli rolled her eyes expecting another lecture.

"We know you were upset after your mistake last weekend, so to show you we're not monsters" he began. Charli was about to interrupt when he continued "We've decided to extend your curfew, be home by midnight"
"Just for tonight though," her mother added.

"Gee, thanks, mum and dad," she said, her voice was dripping with sarcasm which somehow they didn't pick up on and prided themselves on being good parents after she was out the door.

Charli lit herself a ciggie as she walked to Jenny's house, while she was still angry at her parents for her birthday...and confused that her reaction lately had been anger and not fear, she was also excited for that night. She thought back on things Paul had said a few days earlier.

"One day Charli, this band is going to really take off!" He had just come from a session with John and George "When that happens, I'm taking you with me"

"I'm not yer groupie" she laughed.

"Of course not!" He said "But we need someone to capture us as good as you do, plus...I want me girl with me when I'm famous"

She laughed. She didn't doubt their talents would take them further than Liverpool, she had no idea what the future would bring, however.

Charli knocked on the Jamison's door.

"Hey Charli," Jenny answered the door, she was a bit quiet given they had both been counting down the days until the 29th.
"Hey Jen, everything alright?" Charli asked.