Jenny Wren

"Like so many girls, Jenny Wren could sing. But a broken heart, took her song away" ~Jenny Wren - Paul McCartney

Dearest Charli,

Its been months, but I'll continue writing until I hear otherwise from you.

I haven't been writing as much, the band has been so busy this summer! We're starting a residency in Hamburg next month, can ya' believe it?

I hope all is well where you are, I miss you every day and think about you every night.

I hope most of all, you're safe.

All my loving,

JPM

-----

Minnesota, July 1960

Charli sat in a clean, white waiting room with her mother reading over a women's' magazine and scoffing at the articles.

"Really, Charlotte," Mrs. McLeod said picking a bit of lint off Charli's jacket "It's the middle of July, why don't you take this jacket off? You have such pretty shoulders and you must be hot"

"You and Da' make me feel bad about my body, and now you're telling me I have 'pretty shoulders'? No thanks...I'm keeping it on" Charli said not even looking up from the magazine.

"I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your shoulder," Mrs. McLeod said changing subjects "Just a bit of adjustment from your accident, I'll let the doctor know you've been fine otherwise"

"Actually mum, I'd like to go by myself," Charli said coldly. She had been thinking about this since the appointment was made, she didn't want any questions from her mother over the scars she'd accumulated on her arm.

"Oh dearie, I think I should go with you...never know what you might forget to tell the doctor," Mrs. McLeod said in a thinly veiled panic.

"Don't worry," Charli said looking at her mother "I'll tell him I fell down the stairs"

Mrs. McLeod's face went bright red as another patient nervously glanced back at her magazine.

"Charlotte? Charlotte McLeod" a young nurse called as she entered the waiting room. Charli stood and followed the nurse into a patient room as Molly McLeod nervously waited outside.

**

"Charlotte," a middle-aged man addressed her after the nurse had finished her general questions and left. He had light blonde hair and blue eyes and a sunny disposition.

"I'm Doctor Swenson," he continued as he looked over her chart "Now, it says here you've been feeling some sharp pains in your shoulder and weakness"

"Its why I only got a B in gym class," Charli shrugged. Dr. Swenson picked up on her accent.

"You're from Liverpool, aren't you?" He asked. Charli perked up instantly.

"Yeah, how'd ya' know?" Charli asked curiously.

"I have a cousin who used to live in Liverpool, he's in London now" Dr. Swenson smiled.

"Yeah, everyone leaves for London eventually" Charli laughed slightly.

"Right, this shoulder...has there been any previous trauma or injury?" Dr. Swenson asked.

"Well...I dislocated it at Christmas time, hasn't seemed quite right since...I was in a sling for weeks" she explained.

"And how did you dislocate it?" Dr. Swenson asked peering over his clipboard.

"....I fell down the stairs..." Charli lied. Dr. Swenson made a face and wrote something down. He then sat in a chair across from her.