Burn It Down

Always said I was a good kid. Always said I had a way with words. Never knew I could be speechless. Don't know how I'll ever break this curse. ~Burn It Down - Daughter

Dear Charli,

Hallo my little liebling! I'm writing you from Germany!

God, Hamburg is amazing. You would love it! It sometimes feels like we're playing non-stop and I love it!

We've been playing alongside Rory Storm and the Hurricanes. Their drummer is fab! He might drum with us for a few sessions. You'd get on with him, he's really funny.

I still miss you more than you know. I think about you constantly, I still love you.

All my Loving,

JPM

--------------------------------------------------------

Hamburg, October 1960

"Honestly Macca," John said sitting on his bunk, tuning his guitar "I don't understand why ya' still send letters to her, yer never goin' ta' get a response"

"Ya' don't know that Johnny," Paul sighed, strumming a few notes on his own guitar.

"She's probably moved on ta' some American cowboy anyway," John added, "And what about Dot?"

"What about her?" Paul asked angrily "I bought her a leather skirt, didn't I?"

"Cuz ya' want her ta' be a teddy girl, don't ya'?" John grinned knowing it would bother Paul.

"No!" Paul said angrily "What the fuck, John?"

"Relax, Paulie..." John laughed "Just gettin' a rise out of ya's....but ya' have ta' admit..I'm right"

Paul shook his head laughing. "I'll never admit that," Paul said "We should stop talkin' and start rehearsin'"

Minnesota, October 1960

Charli sat sketching before her algebra class began, she was perfectly happy ignoring the rest of the students coming in. She'd gotten into a heated argument with her parents just before she left for school about her change in attitude over the summer. After spending the rest of her summer in a sling again, and feeling more isolated than ever, she began lashing out more and was barely phased at her father's threats, whether he followed through with them or not. She had her release.

"Hey Charlotte," a boy's voice said cutting through her thoughts. She glanced up to see a tall, blonde boy, who was in her grade smiling at her. She knew who he was, it was hard not to, he was one of the most popular boys in the school, a star basketball player, and never lacked for attention. She said nothing and just stared, annoyed that she'd been interrupted. He grinned again and ran a hand through his hair, his hair was perfectly styled even after running a hand through it.

"Name's Luke," he said smiling again "We haven't formally met, but I'd love to take you out. There's the homecoming game on Friday night, we could go to the game and have a nice dinner"

"What makes you think I want to go to some bloody game?" Charli said finally, she leaned back in her chair with her arms crossed.

"I can be quite convincing" he smiled slyly.

"Doubt it," Charli said going back to her sketch and ignoring him again before he went to the back of the classroom.

"Nice one, you got her to say more than 3 words" a boy with dark brown hair laughed as Luke sat next to him.

"More than you could," Luke laughed along "She is cute, even if she's a kind of a bitch"

"Yeah, I'll give ya' that...she's kinda hot," the boy with brown hair said tipping back his chair against the wall "Doubt you'll even get to first with her, let alone third"