Come Out and Play

"And I know it makes you nervous. But I promise you, it's worth it"~Come out and Play - Billie Eilish

London 08 August 1969 1.02pm

"So what are the boys up to today?" Eddie asked over the phone.

"Making history again probably," Charli laughed laying upside down on the couch "They're doing a photo shoot for the next album"

"And you're not there to catch the action?" Eddie gasped.

"I've got me own rehearsal AND the littles are in dress rehearsals for the upcoming showcase" Charli sighed.

"Never a dull moment with you?" Eddie laughed.

"Apparently not," Charli laughed along "You caught me on the one day I haven't been rushing off to interviews...and to think, Paul wanted to jet off to Tibet for this album cover! When do we have the bloody time?"

"Well, your book is a hit sugar beat," Eddie assured "Hell, I've got newspapers here in Quebec asking me for an interview"

Charli glanced at the clock on the other side of the lounge.

"Oh bloody hell!" she said "I lost track of the time...I'm supposed to be at training in 15 minutes"

"Alright Sugar beat," Eddie laughed "I'll let you go, let's not go so long between calls this time?"

*

"Oi, Macca" John called, "Mal says the missus is on the phone"

Paul looked up from his guitar and grinned.

"Ta Johnny boy," He said.

"Yeah, yeah...just keep it short la'" John laughed "Some of us want ta' get home at a decent hour"

It was just after 7pm, the band had been recording one of John's songs most of the afternoon. Paul had decided to start working on one of his songs in studio 3 in the evening while the rest continued on in studio 2.

"Hey gorgeous," Paul smiled as he answered the phone.

"Hey yourself," Charli laughed "How's recordin'?"

"Fine, fine...just workin' on a few bits on me own," Paul said "How were auditions? Are ya' rehearsing tonight?"

"Of course I'm rehearsing tonight," Charli laughed again "We've got a showcase in a week! Auditions went well, I've got to work on casting when I get home"

"So a late dinner?" Paul asked.

"Yeah, just wanted to let you know, I can pick something up on my way home if need be" Charli advised "Sorry I've been so busy, but if ya' can tolerate me casting the Christmas show over wine, we'll have plenty of time together tonight"

"I think I can handle that luv," Paul laughed softly. "Plus I haven't got anywhere to be tomorrow, get back to rehearsin' luv, I'll see ya's at home tonight"

Charli smiled as she hung up the phone. Much as life was better in the studio, there had been underlying tensions she was aware of and was happy when they had a quiet evening alone.

"Was that Paul??" Christine asked excitedly.

"I bet his voice sounds even smoother on the phone" Julie sighed.

"Ladies," Charli said regaining her composure "Shouldn't you be stretching? We have a LOT of rehearsing to do"

"Sorry," Julie said embarrassedly. "It's just.."

Charli smirked as she sat with them and stretched.

"I'm only kidding lovey" Charli laughed "But make sure you work hard tonight, we've got a big showcase soon"