CHAPTER FIVE

Tilly

"Tilly, over here."

I glanced up from my phone screen, seeing Levi shouting from his car, the darkness almost hiding it. I stop dialling the number for the taxi, stepping off the kerb to walk over to him. After he called to say he couldn't make it tonight as something came up at work, it put me in a bad mood. Levi seems to make coming to the shelter fun with his jokes and happy smile, but without him here it's just work.

"I didn't think you were coming tonight," I say, laughing when I lean down to look at him through his wound down car window.

Levi winks. "Couldn't have you getting a taxi on your own. Hop in."

"You came all of this way to pick me up?"

I don't know what to say.

"Of course, I did. You never did get around to showing me your flat," he says, and I try to not giggle at his suggestive tone.

I open the door and climb inside the car, strapping myself in right away. "It's nothing special. You'll be disappointed."

"Did you eat at the shelter?" he says, pulling out of the carpark, and I know he's purposely changing the subject. No pointless apologies around this guy.

If three vegetable and beef spring rolls count as a meal then yes, but I could eat something more.

I shrug. "I could eat."

I slide my eyes over to his driver's seat and see him grinning away to himself. "Good. There's food left over from dinner that Dad drove over for me at work. I thought we could go picnic?"

I frown, looking out at the wintertime weather. "A picnic at midnight?"

Levi nods, gaze on the road. "Midnight is the best time for a picnic. I'll take you to the forest behind my parent's house. It's National Trust, so it's kept clean and the lake's gorgeous at night if the moon is low enough to reflect."

I adore forests. There's something so peaceful about them as you walk in and out of the tall trees, only hearing your footsteps and the wildlife. It calms me, and I can't wait to experience it with Levi.

"Oh, that sounds fun," I say, not able to contain my smile.

We drive further out of town until we reach the countryside, passing Levi's house to take the next left turn, the wide, brown tree trunks and leafy tops flashing when his car lights hit it. Levi finds a space in the empty car park, getting out of the car right away.

I follow, pushing the car door open. "Do you need me to carry anything?"

I'm just quick enough to catch the tartan and black ultra soft blankets he throws at me. And then, he's leading the way, the soles of his boots cracking the pebbles along the path. We reach a long wooden bridge, the sounds of running water stopping me in my tracks.

"You okay?" Levi says, only realising I'm no longer next to him when he's a good few feet away.

I nod, wishing it wasn't so dark so I could see the ripples of the water and the different colours when it unearths the mud. "I love nature. It was my only friend when I had nothing."

Levi doesn't say anything for a few beats, only speaking when I move towards him, carrying on our trail. "I wish I knew you back then. I'd of helped. Been there for you."

"I don't," I reply, knowing he'd of run a mile. "I was in a dangerous place. I was a horrible person. I would've taken you for granted."

The edge of his arm brushes my shoulder when he wraps it around me. "I couldn't ever think you'd be horrible. You're so selfless, Tilly. Misunderstood, maybe?"