CHAPTER SIX

It feels like as soon as my head hits the pillow, it's time to wake up a moment later. I'm trying to take advantage of the comfy bed, feeling like I'm getting a massage from only laying in it. Levi would cringe if he saw my bed - it's a years old double mattress on the floor.

I can't afford much else, but at least it's a sheltered place to rest my head.

I'm lucky for that at least.

I turn over when the door opens, expecting to see Levi coming in to check on me as he promised to before we went to bed. It's his mum, and she's carrying a baby in her arms.

"Uncle Levi," she sings, not realising it's me in place of her son. "Little Beau wants a snuggle while Oma makes him his breakfast."

I pull my body up, watching the shock wash over her features. "Oh! I'm sorry."

I hold my hand out to her, signalling that it's okay. "No, I'm sorry. Hello again."

Selma smiles. "We need to stop meeting in these ways. Where's Levi?"

I nod. "We do. In the guest room, I think. He insisted that I sleep in here."

I direct my gaze on the tiny beauty in her arms, watching his little feet bounce up and down, toes covered by the light blue baby grow. I can't take my eyes off him, almost mesmerised by his dark blue, marble eyes, long lashes, wispy brown curls and chubby cheeks.

I giggle when he gives me a half-smile, turning his face into Selma's chest. "Are you shy?"

Selma laughs, planting several kisses on the back of his head. "You're not shy. You love people, don't you, darling."

Beau grins, face still tucked into Selma's chest, eyes on me.

I wave in his direction, raising my voice. "Hello, cutie."

Beau's hands go over his face, and I glance up at Selma, laughing. "It must be confusing for him. He's never seen me before."

She jiggles him about in her arms. "Say hallo to Tilly."

I buzz on the inside, knowing that she remembers my name. It isn't something that usually happens. I seem to blend into the background.

Beau's eyes go wide all of a sudden, his face turning red. Selma bows her head to see what he's doing. "Oh, and he's pooping." She laughs, "Perfect timing, huh?"

And then she disappears out of the room.

I lift my arms up in the air, stretching to release my tired muscles. Not feeling brave enough to venture out of Levi's room yet, I use some time to test out the shower in his ensuite. The hot water pelts me in different directions, almost sending me back to sleep. I borrow some of Levi's shower gel, smelling inside the bottle before I pour it onto my hands. It's black-peppery and fresh.

I've always thought Levi smelt wonderful when he came to the shelter and now I know why. The scent is overpowering the steam and absorbing into my skin. It says that you can wash your hair with it too, so I give it a shot, enjoying the little head massage as I gently rub it into my hair.

I switch the water off and jump out, dressing back into my dirty clothes. Not ideal, but I don't have much of a choice. Levi is sat on his bed when I come out of the shower room, Beau on his lap.