CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

Tilly

Call me! Something's kicking off in your flat with the landlord!

I stare down at the text message from my next door neighbour feeling the cold wind blowing over my face and exposed arms. The landlord showed up unannounced? I've never known that to happen, always getting twenty-four-hours notice. I don't waste time standing around for long, my heels clipping against the path as I rush to catch a taxi from Main Street.

I don't talk to the driver, my mind too preoccupied with my current living situation. If they throw me out, I have nowhere to go. I'm out on the streets. When the car pulls up a few spaces down from the complex, I throw the money at the driver and sprint towards the entrance.

I bounce on the bridge of my feet, taking the stairs two at a time. My flat door is wide open when I reach the hallway, the stench of weed coming from my home.

"Jonas?" I shout, storming into the room, seeing the absolute devastation.

There's a woman laid on the sofa, completely out of her face, and two guys sit spaced out on the floor next to the old wood coffee table.

I repeat Jonas's name, searching the flat with angry footsteps. I can't find him anywhere.

I stop near the kitchen, seeing a guy sleeping on the floor. My foot nudges his knee, his eyes slipping open. I grit. "Get out of my home."

He mumbles something I don't understand and turns over.

"Oi," I shout, kneeling down on the floor. "I said get out."

Pain shoots down my backside when he pushes me hard, my back smacking the hardwood floor. "Fuck off," he says.

Worry creeps it's way into me when I realise that I'm outnumbered.

There's a knock on the door, followed by a voice I don't want to hear right now. At least, until the lowlife decides to go.

"This is unacceptable, Miss McQueen," Rodger, the landlord says, coming into the room.

"I know it is. I'm sorry. It's gotten out of hand. My uncle asked for somewhere to stay and I stupidly didn't stand my ground and say no."

"I have seven people on the waiting list for accommodations. You're lucky to have this place," he snaps, picking up the empty pizza boxes from the floor.

I rush to take them out of his hands. "I'm aware of that, Sir. I'd never willingly ruin that."

"Look at it in here," he says, looking around with a wild gaze. "It's disgustingly dirty."

I can't deny it.

They've trashed my pride and joy.

"I have no words," I say.

Rodger marches up to the people congregating in the living room and points a finger at them. "Out now before the police get here."

They let out a string of moans when they stumble to their feet. The girl is picking up the sleeping bags and coats from the floor, and I glance around, not seeing Jonas anywhere until I hear a bang from the bathroom. The door opens and out steps my uncle, arm around another woman who looks like she can barely stand up.

Did I ever look like that?

I pull out my phone to call an ambulance. There's no knowing what substance just entered her body or how it's going to affect her.

It seems Rodger beat me to it when his voice carries down the hallway. Stopping in my tracks, I see I have three missed calls from Levi and a worried message asking where I am.