CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Tilly

"I looked like a porn star."

I glance up from the woman doing my pedicure and gaze at Delilah who's discussing how her boobs grew during pregnancy. The whole salon erupts with laughter, me included. Bailey snorts, holding her side as the giggles keep pouring from her mouth. The beauticians stop painting our nails, their hands no longer steady.

"It's true," she frowns and then grins big. "They were the size of watermellons on testosterone. At least I know they're giving a service now. I carried them around for months; it's nice to know they have an actual purpose. My boy's a milk monster."

"George was too. I didn't like it, though. It sucked the life out of me." Laine says, sipping on her latte cocktail.

I never got the chance to breastfeed Annabelle, Dylan told me that it was better to put her right onto formula, and because I was young and impressionable, I took his word for it. Now, I wish he gave me the chance to try it out. I hear it's a fantastic way to bond with your baby.

"More champagne and strawberries?" the receptionist asks, holding the bottle towards my glass.

I pick up my empty glass and nod, "Yes, please. Only a little bit, though."

"Sure, tell me when," she smiles, the glass spilling with white bubbles until I stop her from pouring. She then goes around and fills Betty's glass, Laine on the cocktails.

Boutique Beauty is an upmarket beauty salon that specialises in targeted, expensive treatments. It's plush in here with high-shine granite floors, leather seats and marble fixtures. Even the bar has a long list of cocktails and alcoholic beverages. I tried not to show my shock when I looked at the prices, my heart sinking when the worry that my debit card has enough money in it to be able to afford my pedicure.

I want to fit in here. Levi's family seem like lovely people, and I want them to think the same about me, but I'm different. I don't mix in the same circles as they do. Our lives on two different ends of the wealth ladder. It's like none of that matters when I'm with Levi, but today is making me realise that it does. I won't be able to understand their way of life - It's not who I am.

"Speaking of babies. I have news," Bailey says when the beauty therapists leave the oils to soak into our skin.

Silence.

Laine slams her cocktail glass down on the glass table and almost jumps out of her seat, the heated booties covering her feet, stopping her from falling. "News, news?!"

Bailey laughs shaking her head. "I'm not pregnant. That would be a miracle. We went to our consultation at the fertility clinic yesterday. It seems promising."

"Oh, Bailey!" Laine claps her hands. "Tell us everything."

"Yeah, come on, Bail's. Spill," Delilah says.

Bailey's smile grows five inches, excitement in her eyes. "There was a lot to take in, and I'll have to ask the specialists again. They said I could start on the drugs to suppress my period right away. It's an injection that I have to give myself, but at this point, I'd crawl on my knees through the desert to get my baby."

"That's amazing news," Betty says, voice shaking so hard, Bailey tells her not to cry because she'll set her off.

Laine perches on the edge of her seat. "You're trying IVF?"

"Yeah, the doctor's said it has a bigger success rate than IUI does in women who suffer from endometriosis. And, there is a risk of it not working or me miscarrying, but I'm not letting my thoughts go there right now. I'm too excited. I feel like we're finally getting somewhere good, you know?"