CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Tilly

I'm sharing a room with a girl called Kaitlyn. It's her second month here and she's hating every minute of it. Or, so she tells me. They don't let her take her medication on her own and she thinks it's a breach of her human rights. I don't tell her that I agree with the medical team as it's only my first day and I want to fit in here.

Dylan unloads my suitcase onto the single bed and stands back to look at me. "Is there anything else you want me to do? Or do you want me to leave you alone now? Gives you chance to settle in."

I don't know what I want.

My nerves are all over the place.

I want to try my best and prove everyone that I'm stronger now.

It just feels like a hell of a long road.

I start to unpack my bag. "You can go if you like. I bet you're exhausted from the flight."

He nods. "Only if you're sure? You're bound to be nervous. I can call in tonight to see how you're going? They aren't going to register you until tomorrow to give you time to catch up on sleep."

"I'll be fine. Please don't worry about coming back here. You've all done enough for me."

Dylan smiles. "I'm not leaving you here. I already told you that and I don't go back on my word."

The socks fall out of my hands when I pull out a bunch of clothes. I bend down to retrieve them. "I'm going to try and sleep for a few hours and then I'll go downstairs to introduce myself to everyone."

"Okay," he walks over to the air-con and switches it on, closing the window afterwards. "I'll leave you to it. Call me if you need anything."

I stop what I'm doing and turn to walk towards him with my arms open. Dylan secures me into his arms and squeezes hard. "Thank you for everything."

He squeezes harder. "Anytime. There's no need to thank me. Kick rehab's butt."

My lips slide up into a smile. "I will."

Kaitlyn looks up from the book she's reading and puts the hardback down to rest on her knees. "I'll look after her. Don't worry."

Dylan smiles at her when we pull back. "Good to know," he turns to look at me. "I believe in you. Stay strong."

I smile. "I'm stronger than you think. This is my happy ever after. I know it."

"Me too. I'll never doubt your strength," he holds up his finger and then reaches into his pocket to pull out a piece of paper. "Annabelle made you a Get Well card. You won't be able to make out the writing, but Melissa says it's supposed to say To Tilly, hope you feel better soon. Love Annabelle."

My gaze is fuzzy with tears when I study the swirls and squiggles on the front of the card, seeing the scribbles and letters when I turn it over. "Oh, wow. I'll cherish this forever."

"Good. I'm glad you like it," he says.

I flick my eyes upwards to see his face studying mine. "Melissa doesn't mind Annabelle making me a card does she?"

"No," he frowns. "Tilly, she's not a bad person trying to take your daughter away. Melissa is all about having you in our lives. When Belle's old enough, she wants her to know the truth. It's never been about what she wants in life, but what's best for our daughter. This is why I want you better. So, you can enjoy our girl too."