CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Levi

I eye the guy now sitting in the seat across from me and get an instant hit of regret for not telling him to do one the moment my gut recognised him. Dylan. The name of Tilly's ex-man. The man who took her baby girl away.

I narrow my eyes. "I know who you are before you start spouting lies."

"Who said I was about to lie?"

"You hurt her," I struggle to contain my anger, feeling instant dislike for him.

I don't know what I expect him to do in answer to my question. Get angry. Put me in my place. Backchat me. Laugh? No, I don't expect that. "And she hurt me worse. There are always two sides to every story."

Yes, he's right there. Those very words spoken from my mother many at time when any of us jump the gun on a story, believing one person only.

Homelessness doesn't lie, though.

Not one bit.

"How do you know we were talking about the same person?" Edward cuts in, voice low and threatening.

Dylan turns in his chair, staring directly at my brother. "I did some digging. I wanted to know who Tilly surrounds herself with," he breaks off, trouble in his gaze. "I guess a part deep down in the depths of my being wants her to be happy...to be okay in life."

I soften a little at hearing his reply, but not all the way. Tilly is so broken up inside. I want justice for her. "Tilly is fine. I make sure of it."

"Good. Just be careful."

There he goes again, pissing me off.

I take a long sip of my beer, letting my temper simmer inside. It would be smart to keep my cool. I don't want to make the situation any worse.

"You say to be careful. Why is that?" Edward responds.

Dylan pinches his lips together. "Tilly is a wild one. It doesn't take a lot for her to be easily led astray. We were together for a while. I loved her immensely, but it wasn't enough. I don't know if you've found out yet, but her personality is very all or nothing. She gets addicted to something quick and then is bored moments later. It's an unhealthy cycle."

Edward turns to me. "Ring any bells, bro?"

"No," I snap, remembering how destructive she can be when something painful for her creeps up out of nowhere. "You're talking about the old Tilly."

"This wasn't too long ago-"

The innocent expression he's pulling doesn't slide with me.

I lean further towards him. "You need to stop. Do you have any idea of the mess you and her family have made of her life? She has nothing. Fucking nothing! And you're sitting here, knowing you have a family, a warm bed to lie in at night and food in your stomach, trying to make her out to be the bad guy?" I purse my lips, "Nah, I'm not having it."

Dylan seems to be stuck for words.

Edward clears his throat. "Lee, is this love talking? Do you need to listen to what he's saying?"

A stab of betrayal pierces through my heart. He's taking his side? "Thanks a lot, Ed," my lips are dying to reveal the truth. "You don't know the half of it. Leave your opinions at home."

His eyes widen, probably because it's the only time I've argued with him since we were kids. "Lee?"

"If Tilly isn't here to defend herself, then I will."

"I tried to help her. Don't for a second think I didn't. It ruined me. I lost myself for a long while. I hated to see her caught in the spiral of destruction. It's the reason I took our daughter away. To keep her safe. Annabelle came first as soon as she took her very first breath. I'm her dad. It's my job to protect her."

"Daughter?" Edward whispers, questions in his hard gaze.

"I understand your reasons for wanting to protect your daughter. It's true. Annabelle needs to come first. But, to not include Tilly seems awfully wrong to me."

All I can see is Tilly curled up in a sleeping bag in the doorway of a building, freezing to death while he lives happily ever after.

It tastes like poison on my tongue.

"You're missing my point," he gives me a genuine smile. "Hell, maybe you are too love drunk to listen to me. I'm warning you because I don't want to see her crash and burn for a second time. Do you get me now?"

It dawns on me.

Dylan's telling me because he cares about her.

I nod my head about to speak when a shrill, American voice shouts, "Daddy!"

"Annie," Dylan says, getting up to lift the red haired child into his arms. "What are you doing back so soon?"

I can't believe my eyes.

Annabelle.

Tilly's daughter is in front of me.

And, God, is she her mothers double.

It feels wrong.

I shouldn't be here.

"Annabelle, what have I said about you running away from me?" another voice adds into the mix, a blonde haired woman appearing at our sides.

"Sowey, mommy," Annabelle says, moving around in Dylan's arms to get a better look at me.

"Say hello," Dylan tells her.

Fuck me.

It's as if a younger Tilly is here.

I can't get over it.

"Hello," she responds, kneeling up on Dylan's knee so he has to support her by the waist.

"Hey there," Edward shocks me by replying.

Annabelle spins her head around and goes shy at the sight of my brother, burying her face in Dylan's shoulder.

"Levi?"

My heart pounds out of my chest, my neck cracking when I spin it around to look behind me. "Tilly?"

Tilly 

I left Delilah back at the apartment organising her wedding planner, feeling like I helped all I could without my thumbs growing sore from turning the pages. Levi text to say they were at the Number 1 pub, so I decided to go and join them for a drink or two.

I take a steady stroll down the strip, admiring the river back at the side of the pavement. The grass is neatly trimmed, the edges as straight as a ruler. I bet it takes the council forever to perfect it.

It doesn't take me long to get to the buildings, nightclubs, bars and shops. The strip going on for what feels like a mile. When I reach the Number 1 pub, I spot Levi through the window, the shadows blocking me from seeing anything more.

Feeling silly, I quietly enter the building, wanting to surprise him. The bar tender watches me open the door slowly, laughing when I stumble near the bar chairs. It's only a small venue, the furniture close together.

"You didn't see me do that," I say, making him laugh harder.

At hearing Edward's voice, I turn to the right, spotting my worst nightmare happening in real time. I take four steps forward towards the table and feel my legs turn into jelly.

"Levi?"

I get his eyes before the room spins and I'm on the floor.

...

Thank you millions for reading! ❤️

I know it's only a short chapter, but I feel like it fits! 🤗

P.s. I'm sorry for not answering comments in the last chapter! I'll do it tomorrow, promise ❤️