CHAPTER TWELVE

Tilly

Levi is tidying my room when I walk inside with two cups of instant coffee. I added his usual three spoons of sugar, knowing he likes his beverages sweet. I drink my drink, watching him bag up the wasted wallpaper into a black bin bag.

"Don't let your coffee get cold," I say, passing it over when he reaches his long arm out in my direction.

I get a wry smile, his lips pursing around the edge of the cup. "Thanks," he murmurs.

I giggle. "Don't make it awkward."

Levi's eyebrows shoot up towards his hairline. "I ain't making anything awkward. I'm walking on cloud nine, sweetheart."

Now it's my turn to smile behind my cup. "You're a big ball of cheese, aren't you?"

"Cheese?" he snorts, looking mildly offended. "You think I'm cheesy?"

Yes, but that isn't a bad thing. "It's what I like most about you. And your sense of humour."

Levi looks like he's about to say something, but closes his mouth right after.

"What?" I say, catching his eye.

"What I was about to say was as cheesy as a margarita pizza dipped into a three cheese fondue."

My giggles ring out into the air. "Levi."

It's that plump top lip tilting up when he smiles that gets me every time. The guy should be grateful for such a great pair. I'd kill for my smackers to pout in every expression.

"Are you pouting?" Levi says, trying to hide his amusement. "Your lips are doing this," he starts to show me.

I am.

Shit.

"No," I bring my fingers up to my mouth and start to itch them. "I've got a tickle."

"A tickle?" he grins.

Using my coffee as a distraction, I turn around and start to pick up the sheets from the floor, mumbling a 'Yes'. Levi chuckles away to himself, starting to whistle a tune. It takes us fifteen minutes to tidy up and then he's asking me if I want to join him on his errands.

"Collecting rent?" I say, tying the laces on my shoes.

Levi throws his car keys from hand to hand, the noise distracting me for a moment. "No," he shakes his head. "Well, yes for me, but not for you," he shakes his head, knowing he makes no sense. "You're working a few hours at Green Earth Kitchen. I had words with Bailey, and she's all for having you on board."

"Seriously?" I widen my eyes, feeling my pulse race. "Like, serious, Levi?"

The tilt of his head tells me to follow him. He's not playing. "Yeah, come on, you'll love it."

And, love it, I did. Three days later, I'm serving customers, buttering sandwiches and blitzing smoothies like a pro. I'm working with a girl called Francesca, and she's a diamond. We get on like a house on fire, chatting about random stuff us girls do, sometimes letting the customers join in when they're waiting for their morning Matcha.

It seems to have worked out perfectly with the hours the manager gives me slotting in with the Shelter. But, there's still that awful niggle at the back of my head that tells me that this is too good to be true. I'm trying to push those toxic thoughts aside. Enjoying the bit of luck life has thrown me.

It's hard, though.

"Is Bailey in today?"

I look at the petite blonde in front of me, thinking she could use a good meal. One side of her hair is in curls while the other part looks knotty and matted. Not the out of bed look, but the I've lived in my bed for months.