CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

Unedited ❤️

Tilly

"You need to be quiet and gentle, okay?"

Dylan's voice has me opening my eyes and sitting up in bed. I'm staying at his mothers house so they can keep an eye on me. No room in the tiny house Dylan is renting until they move to Australia.

Not that I mind.

They're kind enough to let me into their home. I'm not going to take it for granted.

"Daddy, I can climb by my own," the tiny voice of my daughter says and I feel like I may pass out.

Dylan shows his face, smiling at me. "Sorry, Belle. Daddy is silly. He forgets you're a big girl now you're almost five."

"Yes," she says dragging out the S.

"Hey guys," I say, trying to appear kind for Annabelle's sake.

Annabelle stops near Dylan until he pushes her with a gentle shove. "Why are you still in bed?" she says, cheeks flushing pink.

I smile and pat the bed as an invitation for her to join me. "I'm not feeling very well."

Annabelle starts to climb up the bed and Dylan helps her by lifting her up. "My mommy always makes me biscuits and gravy when I'm sick. It's my favourite foods."

God, she's adorable.

I can't stop staring at her, taking in the details, knowing I'll start freaking her out if I don't stop. "Sounds yummy. I like tomato soup when I'm sick."

"Eeerrr," she says, pulling a face of disgust. "I hate tomato!"

"You do? But, they're so tasty."

Annabelle gets comfortable on the bed, laying on her front. She reaches out to me. "You have orange hair like me."

I giggle. "I do. Just like Ariel."

Annabelle nods her head.

Dylan gets down to sit on the bed too, glancing at me with unsure eyes. "Tell Tilly Who you saw when we went to Disney World?"

I keep my expression light, understanding that I'll be known as Tilly to her and not mummy. I'm lucky for them to be here with me. I'm not going to make demands.

Annabelle falls back into Dylan's arms. "I saw a real-life Merida. She's pretty."

I cover my mouth, trying and failing to remember the character. "Did you get a picture?"

"At home," she says, now stretched out on the mattress with her head pressing into Dylan's stomach.

Dylan pulls out his phone from his pocket and studies it for a moment before handing it over to me. "Here it is. I saved a load of copies."

There in her princess dress, Annabelle stands next to a woman with tumbling, fire red curls and beams at the camera so hard her mouth was bound to hurt.

"Lovely picture," I say, handing the phone back to Dylan.

Annabelle tips her head back to glance up at Dylan. "Daddy, can I have a doughnut?"

Dylan wipes the hair away from her face. "Go ask grandma nicely and she might let you."

"Okay," she slides away from him and dashed out of the room almost unsteadily causing Dylan to shout for her to be careful.

We wait to hear her voice downstairs before Dylan turns his attention back on me. "How you feeling?"

"Good," I nod.