CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

SAY WHAT

SAY WHAT......?

Competition coming soon! 😮

Make sure to follow me on Instagram and Twitter to be in with a chance of winning never seen before chapters from your favourite family! 😉🙌🏻❤️

...

Tilly

I pile the scrambled egg on my plate and toast a piece of rye bread, trying not to get in the way of the breakfast rush. Kaitlyn is waiting for me at the big oak table, saving me a seat on the end. It's intimate with only one table and enough chairs to seat the three other patients.

The ketchup makes a squirting sound when I add it to my eggs and we both giggle, obviously feeling childish this morning. It's just after half past nine and I'm feeling refreshed and ready for the day. My sleep was broken last night, which I'm putting down to the jet lag, but I'm not letting my tiredness get in the way.

"We have a new person, I see," a gentle male voice says, sliding into the space next to me with a plate full of pastry and fruit.

I smile, feeling so out of my depth. "Yes, I'm Tilly and you are?"

He raises his eyebrows. "And she's as friendly as she is beautiful. The name's Jackson, but you can call me Jack," he winks, pushing his long fringe out of his eyes.

Kaitlyn moves closer to whisper in my ear when she realises I'm uncomfortable. "Jack's innocent. Don't worry about him coming on to you or anything. He's happily married," she accepts the mini croissant he hands over.

I release the tension in my shoulders and breath out for a few beats. "How long have you been here, Jack?"

He holds up six fingers. "Six months, baby. And still going strong."

I laugh, caught up in his mint leaf green eyes. "Not that you're counting."

Jackson's face turns sour. "I'd much rather be lazing around Bondi beach with my fella, but he's the reason I'm here and I get to see him this arvo, so s'all worked okay."

Husband.

Oh, I see.

Putting my fork down on the plate, I ask, "What's your guy called?"

Jackson smiles, "Tyler."

Kaitlyn cuts into our conversation with an excited voice. "Do I get to see the stunner again? He's so charming, Tilly."

I'm caught up in them. "Do you have a picture?"

Jackson winks, "For my eyes only."

I laugh. "Oh, it's like that is it?"

The other patients join us but don't seem interested in conversation, so I keep my attention on my new friends. Jackson is relaying a story to Kaitlyn that has her in stitches, food crumbling out of her mouth when she almost chokes on the croissant.