CHAPTER NINE

Unedited ❤️

Levi

I drop the paperwork off at the out-house for Noah, finding him sprawled out on the sofa next to a sleeping Bailey. The doctor discharged her from the hospital a few days ago, and she's healing fast, but feeling exhausted. I don't want to pry, but it's obvious Noah has clued her in on the baby front - as she's emotional and quiet. Noah too. I know it'll be hurting him more at the thought of it upsetting Bailey. I give him the work he needs and then make my excuses, wanting to give them their alone time.

Dexter is pulling on his trainers when I walk into the mansion, dressed for footie practice. It feels like all he does is train these days. I don't get to see him half as much as I used to and it pisses me off. I'm all for him chasing his dreams. But, to me, it seems like we're losing our closeness.

And, that's not okay.

"You okay, man?" he says, standing up to shove on his team jacket.

I chuck my house keys in the bowl near the door and turn to talk to him. "Yeah, not bad. You heading out for long? Thought we could catch up later?"

Dexter nods. "I'll be back around eight. Shall I bring in food?"

I nod, my heart thudding when Tilly's face flashes in front of me. "You mind if I invite someone?"

The cocky little smile he throws my way  means he knows what I'm getting at in asking his permission. "Sure, bro, Tilly can come."

I bite the inside of my cheek and look away. "You gonna invite someone too? I think she could do with some friends."

Dexter laughs. "Yeah, I can call people," he looks down at his watch. "I gotta run. Catch you later."

I go into the kitchen, trying to find something to eat before I settle down for a few hours to get some work done. It's Saturday and technically my day off, but I like to keep on top of my paperwork, so I'm not as overwhelmed on Monday morning.

One of our house keepers, Linda,  meets me at the cupboard where the protein bars are kept, iPad in hand. "Ah, I'm glad I caught you. I'm ordering groceries. Do you want anything buying in special?"

Linda waits while I rip into my snack. "Can you double up on the cured meat and seafood?"

I watch her tapping away, trying to think if there's anything else. "Oh, and ready to drink smoothies. The green kind if possible."

"You got it," she taps away, starting to walk out of the kitchen. "I'll go and see what your dad wants me to buy. Saves me the job of adding to the order every five minutes."

I munch on the chocolatey bar and drag across the patio doors, sitting on the cushioned wicker chair. We have a great view from our garden - one of the reasons my parents wanted the house. Over the landscape, there's miles of rolling fields, different colours as the earth grows the different crops.

I can spend hours out here, enjoying the peace.

A while passes and I decide to shoot Tilly a text, asking if she's free tonight. I keep it casual, all the while second guessing every word. The way we left things the other night has the potential to make it awkward. And, I'm not used to texting women. Not one's I think are something special, anyway. I almost choke on my last bite of protein bar when my phone buzzes, my mind expecting the worst as I open up the message.

Yeah, sounds good. X

I resist the urge to shout out loud and send a quick message, telling her all she needs to know. I go back into the kitchen, searching the cupboards for snacks and drinks, knowing Dexter will invite more than a few people.