CHAPTER EIGHT

Tilly

I knock back the seventh shot of vodka, clinging onto the edge of the bar so I don't fall off the stool. I'm back at the bar Levi and I came to the other day, feeling like my world just ended. The sting of the alcohol numbing the fracture in my soul only a little. I need something stronger. Something to forget.

A figure slides onto the stool beside me, the pills sitting in the palm of his cupped hand. "Interested?" he says, voice so cold.

I stare at the butterfly design drawn on the top of the pill, knowing it'll numb me. My fingers linger on it, extremely tempted to shove it in my mouth. But, I know I'll feel twice as bad in the morning. "No, not this time."

"It's free," he says, sliding his hand closer to my body.

I turn my back to him and order another round of shots, handing over the money to the barman when he slides the tray my way. One by one, I drink away my sorrows, inwardly cursing when the clear liquid does nothing to help.

"Tilly?"

Oh effing hell.

I keep my gaze on the top of the bar, trying to act like I didn't just hear my uncle speak my name. It's hard. I pull away when his calloused, bony hand wraps around my shoulder, pulling me so we have no choice but to stare at one another.

The yellowing in his eyes intensifies when he moves into the light, the tone in his skin taking on the same shade. Years of alcohol abuse seems to be getting to his kidneys. I don't flinch when he grabs one of my shot glasses, knowing it would end badly if I took it back.

"Thought you were too good for this place?" he says, downing the drink in one.

"What do you need?" I respond, knowing he's after something.

"Money," he goes to help himself to another shot. "A warm place to rest my head. You gonna let me stay at your place?"

"I can't. In the contract it says only I can stay there. They don't allow people to stay over."

"Like they would know," he slams the glass down.

I flinch back, feeling my heart boom. "They have wardens there twenty-four-seven. Of course they'll know. I'm sorry, Jonas. I can't risk losing my flat."

"Selfish. Little. Cow," he gets up in my face, gritting his teeth.

The bar stool wobbles when I move back, trying to escape his anger. There was a time when he was handy with his hands, and I don't want to be subjected to that again.

"Get away from me," my voice wobbles, but I keep my expression firm.

The corners of his dry lips tilt up at the sides, fingers digging into my jaw when he grabs hold of my face. "I need some money and a place to rest my head. You can give me that, right?"

"No, I can't," I spit, narrowing my gaze.

Jonas tightens his grip and pain takes my breath away. "You do as I fucking say. You hear me?"

I'm back to being the scared, young girl wrapped up in blankets, dodging the monsters of the night. "I can't ruin my accommodation."

"I'm family," he says, a lethal look in his eye. "You do as I say."

"Get your dirty fucking hands off her right now."

At the threat, Jonas turns around, dropping his fingers from my face, glancing up at a terrifyingly angry Levi. I rub my face, feeling it sting now the circulation is coming back, never so happy to see Levi's handsome face.