CHAPTER TWENTY*

Tilly

Levi closes the deli door at six o'clock, helping the old lady out of the building with her shopping bag. While he does that, Emily cashes up the till and I finish drying off the baking tins to put them back in the cupboards for tomorrow morning.

"I can't believe how fast today is going,"  Levi says, coming back into the room.

I turn to look over my shoulder, catching his eye. "It's been fun. We work well together."

I can't get enough of his shy smile. "I agree."

"So," he drags the word out, taking the Pyrex dish from my hands to put in the cupboard. "I have a teeny surprise for you."

I drop the sponge back into the soapy water. "Tell me more."

"I'm taking you away for the night. There's no need to worry about luggage. It's all sorted."

My heart does a triple beat in my chest. "Are you even real? You're a dream come true, Levi."

"Hey, being cheesy is my thing," he nudges my shoulder.

"It's the truth. Where are you taking me?"

"My parents have a small holiday let further up north. It's free tonight."

I smile. "Sounds romantic."

I get chills from the desire in his voice, and I try to isolate it, not wanting to scare off his newfound confidence.

"Yeah, it is. You up for it?"

A night away from Jonas? Yes. Please. "I'd love to spend the night with you. When do we leave?"

"Now to miss the rush hour traffic," he replies.

I wonder if we have far to travel when he helps me tidy the rest of the pots up and grabs my coat and purse. We head towards the front of the shop to say 'bye to Emily, traipsing over the wet pavement to get to Levi's car.

"You said not to worry about luggage?" I say, getting into the car.

Levi ducks to climb into the driver's seat, giving me side eyes. "I did indeed."

I frown. "I won't have anything to wear."

Levi reaches over, wrapping his fingers around my wrist. "Neither will I."

"Levi?"

He leans in closer to brush our lips together. "I want you."

"You want me?" I stutter, swallowing a couple of times to hide my shock.

"Yes," he trails his lips warily up my cheek towards my ear. "I trust you. I'm ready for the next step."

I breathe in his scent. "The next step?"

"Yes," he lowers his gaze, so we're face to face. "I trust you, Tilly. I," he loses eye contact. "I see us as a couple."

I smile when I realise the guard I built in my heart to protect myself from hurt disappears with Levi around.

"Me too," I grab onto his face.

Levi lifts his head. "Really? You do?"

I laugh moving closer. "Yes."

"Good," he lets out a snort, shaking his head.

"What's so funny?"

He snorts again. "If you knew how nervous that made me, you'd think I was lame as fuck."

"I don't think that at all. Stop putting yourself down."

"It feels natural to be with you," he replies, and I notice people staring at us from the bus stop ahead.