CHAPTER NINETEEN

Tilly

"You can get me access to see Annabelle?"

My legs turn to jelly when he nods, sure of himself. "How?" I whisper.

Jonas takes the carton of milk back from my hand and walks back to the sitting room. "Your parents still speak to Dylan. They see Annabelle sometimes when they're home from Ohio."

A steam train hitting me with blunt force would hurt less. "I'm sorry, what?"

I don't believe him. There's no way my parents would have anything to do with my child. Not when she brought them shame.

"I beg in Cromwell street near your dad's work. We speak sometimes, and he tells me about her and how she's growing up."

I blink. "How is it fair that Dylan lets them see her but not me?"

"My guess is as good as yours, Tilly."

Silence.

"And how do you expect to change Dylan's mind? Do you speak to him too?"

If he says yes to that question, I don't know what I'd do.

"No, but I got some dirt on your daddy."

I cross my arms over my chest, feeling more and more confused. "Dirt on Dad? I don't believe you."

"That's your choice," he shrugs.

"Can I know what you have over him?"

Jonas sinks down into the sofa. "Nah, makes it more fun for me."

I step forward. "Is this a game to you?"

"No," he can't help but smile.

I should've known better. "Leave. You're messed up for getting my hopes up in that way."

"Oh quit your attitude. I said I'd get you access to the girl, and I meant it," he itches his head. "You got any hot water? I could do with a wash."

I take in his dirty skin and ripped clothes, thinking the same. "Yeah, but don't use it all."

"Good choice," he stands up, throwing the empty carton on the floor. "That man of yours got any clothes lying around here?"

"No," I respond.

"Shame. Looks like he's power minted. I could sell 'em on," he says, following me out of the room.

I stop dead. "Excuse me?"

What are you doing, Tilly?

Jonas is a risk to everything.

He frowns, seeing no wrong in his words. "What? I reckon he wears that designer shit. Worth a fortune."

I back him up, so he's against the wall and show my teeth in a fierce snarl. "Leave Levi out of this, understand?"

Jonas laughs. "Here she is."

"Leave Levi out of it," I repeat.

The black dirt coating the palms of his hands shine in the light. He shoves me back. "I heard you the first time. No need to repeat yourself."

I go into the bathroom and pull out a fresh bath towel from the storage basket, finding him a bar of soap to use, so he doesn't moan about using my perfumed stuff. I lay them over the sink and leave him in peace.

Two days later and he's still here - driving me crazy. My sitting room looks like a bomb has hit it with his empty food wrappers and cigarette packets. I drew the line at him smoking inside the flat and luckily he respected it.