Ghost

You carried the last box up to your new apartment in Japan. You'd moved here for university and bought a place at a new set of appartments. You'd heard the building once belonged to the police or something.

You walked through the doors to your floor and took a look around at your new home. It was already 9 o'clock but you were determined to unpack a few things before you went to sleep. You wandered down the hall to your room where most of the furniture had been set up by the movers. You put the box down and opened it to show it wall full to the brim of books. You started to unpack them and put them on the shelf, organising them by series and author. You turned to grab another book when you almost jumped out of your skin.

One of them was floating.

Your book was floating.

"What the-"

The book suddenly dropped and you picked it up to put it on the shelf, hoping it was just your mind playing tricks on you. You stacker a few more books and the same thing happened, a random book floating in the room behind you.

Your first thought was a ghost. You were being haunted. You pulled your laptop over and instantly looked up the address of the building.

'Once used as a taskforce headquarters to the Kira investigation team 10 years ago, the building was abandoned for years until a company bought it and renovated it into apartments. Two detective died on premises. One floor beneath each other. Quillish Whammy was found dead on the 15th floor after a sudden heart attack given by Kira. Another man was found a floor above but there were no records ever found on him. It was presumed he died at the hands of Kira. Both men can be found buried at this address...'

"I'm on the 16th floor...right where that guy died..." you said.

You looked up at the floating books.

"Hey! Ghost! If you can hear me can you tell me how to see you?" You said.

The books all dropped and you saw a pen float out of a box and write on the side.

'Take a picture of the books'

One of the books began to float again.

You pulled out your phone and snapped a picture of the floating book. When you pulled your phone away, you saw a young man with shaggy black hair, a white shirt and blue jeans floating cross legged in front of you.

So this was the unidentifiable man that Kira got to.

"Can you talk?" You asked.

He tried to say something but nothing could be heard from for end.

"I think there's something between us, I can't hear you" you said.

He tilted his head for a moment and suddenly floated through the wall. Your phone then went off. You picked it up and answered it.

"Hello?"

"Can you hear me now?"

You looked out into the hallway and saw the ghost had used your home phone to communicate with you.

"Yeah, I can hear you now. You're not dangerous are you?" You said.

"No.. I'm just trapped here" he replied.

"What's your name?"

"Lawiet"

"I'm (y/n). Did Kira kill you?"

"Yes. I was actually L until I was killed" he replied.

"But L is still alive?"

"That's actually one of my successors. I was killed because a shinigami working with Kira could see my name. I've been trapped here ever since" L said.

"Why can't you leave?"

"I have unfinished business. It's to catch Kira but Kira has been killed now... so I can never finish what I started. So I'm stuck here forever. But at least I won't be lonely anymore"

This was the cutest ghost ever.

"Yeah, I'll keep you company"

"You're not scared?"

"No, you never tried to hurt me so I'm not afraid. Also who's the person that died below us?" You asked.

"Mr. Whammy? He was my caretaker, he founded Whammy's house orphanage back in England where I grew up and always came with me on cases to make sure I took care of myself, his unfinished business is taking care of me so he can't leave either" L replied.

"You were an orphan?"

"Yeah, although I didn't seem to mind" he said, floating on his back.

"Is there some way to talk to you without a phone?"

"Maybe, look it up"

You put the phone down for a minute and did I quick search.

"Apparently if you called me once you can talk to me now" you yelled out to him.

He hung up and floated over.

"Can you hear me?"

This time you could.

"Yes, I can this time"

He gave you a smile and you smiled back.

"Can anyone else see you?"

"Not unless they take a picture first. So the construction people that left probably could" L said.

"This is all so interesting. The ghost of L is living in my house- well our house, I'm surprised I'm not scared actually"

"If you'd never pulled out those books I'd probably never have talked to you. I just picked them up because I'd read them before and quiet enjoyed them"

You had a sudden realisation and jumped up, startling the ghost in front of you.

"Can I put my arm through you?" You said.

"I don't know"

"Well I can kind of see through you, so can I touch you?"

You reached out and arm to touch him and your hand went straight through him.

"Cool!"

He grabbed your arm and pulled it out of his chest.

"Not fair how come you can touch me!" You said.

"Don't know. Maybe it's a plane of existence thing" he said.

"No ectoplasm? What kind of ghost are you?" You said looking down at your clean hands.

"One that isn't evil. Only evil ones have ectoplasm"

"Hey! Do you think Kiras ghost is here?"

"Not here, he didn't die here. But he's almost definitely going to be in the warehouse he died" L said.

"I kinda wanna see"

"NO! (Y/n), you mustn't get close to him! I don't want him to haunt you!"

You looked up at L who looked down at you, his aura turning a little blue.

"O-ok..."

Something about this ghost made you freeze up and he wasn't even evil. Why was it? Were you falling in love with a ghost? One you just met?