A proposal with a twist

You decided that it was about time. Time to do something you should have done ages ago.

Propose.

Yes you were a girl, BUT FUCK GENDER ROLES YOU LOVE THIS MAN.

It's not like it'd be weird to him either, you've even talked about it before.

Flashback

"Honestly I don't understand these cliches anymore" you said.

"Neither do I, it's the 21st century come on" L replied.

You were watching a movie that came out a while ago, but it was so cliche it hurt to watch.

"Seriously, a girl can play football and a boy can wear a dress, is not that bad" you said.

"I know, what's wrong with stuff like this? So what if a boy wears heels? So what if a girl proposed to a boy?"

"Exactly! Wait... what if I proposed to you?"

"I'd say yes obviously"

Flashback end.

So you'd decided to take a leap and propose to your boyfriend. He didn't care about the gender roles, so what's the problem? What's stopping you?

It was midnight and you were both sitting on the rooftop, it was hot inside, so you'd come out to get some air.

"You know, this case would be a lot easier if there weren't two Kiras" he said.

"I know, it's just annoying. Like good on the girl for being brave enough to expose herself to the police, but she shouldn't have done any killing, you know what I mean?" You replied.

"Yeah, I must take guts to literally step forward and say 'hey I'm killing people' even when you know the consequences. But she shouldn't have even started killing"

"It seems like the plot to a movie almost"

"It does, girl grows the courage to go up against a really tough guy kind of movie"

"Yeah, one of those movies that would be a big middle finger to gender roles"

"Exactly, if pay to see that movie" he said.

"Me too" you replied.

This is it, the topic of gender roles was the perfect transition into this.

"You know what else would be a big middle finger to gender roles?" You said, getting up and slipping a hand into your pocket.

"What?"

"This would" you said, pulling out the ring and dropping to one knee.

You watched his expression change from normal to shocked as he covered his mouth in surprise.

"Let's say 'fuck off' to gender roles by doing this. So, L Lawliet, will you marry me?"

You suddenly got really scared. What if this was weird and he said no.

"Y-yes..." he said, at a loss for words.

It took a moment for him to realise that as was happening, but a smile soon broke on his face.

"Yes... YES!"

You smiled and took his hand slipping the ring you got with his logo on it onto his ring finger. You pulled him into a hug and held him tight.

"Wow... I wasn't expecting that" he said.

"I thought it was about time" you replied.

"Goddamnit I love you so much"

"I love you too"