The cat next door

A/n: I've always wanted a cat named Toothless.

You opened the door at the sound of scratching, only to see a small black cat sitting down at the doorstep. You looked down the hallways of the apartment complex, only to see no one around.

"Hello" you said, ducking down to pat the cat.

It purred and rubbed its head against your hand. You looked at its collar and read the name.

"Mittens huh? How cute. I wonder who you belong to" you said to yourself.

"Mittens! Damnit where did that cat go?"

You looked up to see a man with messy black hair, an oversized white shirt, jeans and exaggerated eye bags. He must be tired from something. You picked up the cat and stood up.

"Looking for her?" You asked.

The man looked over and smiled.

"Yes, that's her. The sneaky little thing managed to slip out of the door" he said.

He walked over to you and you gave him his cat. He was cute, like, really cute.

"She's very soft, really cute too. She was scratching at my door, maybe he could smell my cat, I just moved here yesterday so my cats been wandering around the apartment complex exploring" you explained.

He snapped out of his small trance of checking you out when you finished speaking.

"That must have been it, at least your cat can be trusted to come back. I'm Lawliet by the way, but people just call me L"

"I'm (y/n), nice to meet you"

You felt something rub against your legs, you looked down to see your cat who was also completely black, but with a small chunk taken out of the tail.

"And that's Toothless. He lost a little bit of his tail in a fight with another cat" you said, picking him up.

The cats began to sniff and paw at each other.

"Toothless? As in the dragon? Smart name considering his tail" L said.

"Yeah, I couldn't think of a name for the longest time until the whole tail thing. Then it suddenly hit me that Toothless was a good name while I was watching how to train your dragon as I was working"

Suddenly Toothless jumped out of your arms and Mittens followed him inside the house, they seemed to be talking to each other.

"Well, Mittens seems to be at home already. Wanna come in? I was just about I make tea" you said.

"Sure"

And that was how you met the love of your life. All thanks to his cat scratching at the door.

[possible part 2]