Ch16 : The Fun In Being Grounded

Chapter 17: The Fun In Being Grounded

     [Edited: August 29, 2015]

     (Riley's P.O.V)

     I sighed, watching Lou plop Lilly down onto the floor. Annoyance built up in my body as I turned to Liam who stood at the front of the main room.

     "Lilly, look at me." Liam commanded. Lilly hesitantly met his glare and I could see the glistening in her eyes. I felt the frustration float around in the room. I sat only few feet away from Lilly, but I knew the boys could hint that we weren't talking to each other as well.

     "Both of you need to explain yourselves and tell us why you ran away," Louis demanded as we both nodded solemnly.

     Zayn nodded his head to me, signaling that I was to talk first. I sucked in a sharp breath, and began explaining the story the way I experienced it. Though, my temper rose as my eyes met with Lilly's and I made sure the boys knew this was caused by her.

     "Lilly made the decision to go to the arcade since the girls were still shopping. I didn't see anything wrong with it, besides noticing that we weren't informing the girls and that we left our bags unattended. Lilly assured me that the driver or the girls would come out soon to get the bags and come get us. So, we went to the arcade, met some friends, hung out with them for a bit. After migrating to the food court, I checked my phone since Lilly's was dead, and noticed your missing calls. I was mad at Lilly because it was mainly her fault, and she even told me she texted Eleanor, which I guess didn't even make it to her. Now I'm kinda upset with her so don't make my punishment related to her in any way, please," I explained, anger rising after each sentence and my tone sharp, glaring at Lilly every few moments.

     "Okay, seems like that's pretty short. What about you Lilly?" Liam asked, sounding like a judge. I didn't make eye contact with Lilly, knowing she was going to tell a story that would defend herself and begin to retaliate with the boys, starting with a snarky comment.

     But, Lilly only bent her head down in shame, picking at the carpet below her. "Riley is right. I was the one who saw the arcade. I persuaded her into going, ignoring her protests. I didn't stop to think about what would happen or stopped to think about the bags or the girls, I just ended to have fun. I didn't care about anything but fun. I learned my lesson and I know that fun isn't important. I'm sorry," She answered quietly, a hint of irritation in her tone. It almost sounded like she had rehearsed her explanation, like she was used to apologizing for things.

     I glanced at her out of the corner of my eye, seeing one tear roll down her cheek as she didn't bother wiping it away. It was a devastating sight. Only after one day of being sisters, we were fighting. Even this situation brought out the worst of us, me being cold and Lilly being sad and quiet. This wasn't us.

     The boys nodded nonchalantly. "Why didn't you listen to Riley, Lil?"

     I watched my sister curiously, wondering why she hadn't sassed back her brothers yet. Lilly sighed. "Because I didn't care and I just wanted to have fun. I know my mistake and I'm sorry," She replied, her voice cracking. The boys thought about what to do. The room filled with silence as they pondered over the situation.

     "Lilly, you are grounded for a a month and a half. Extra because of your stubbornness. We are also going to take away your phone, and exchange it for a old one. You will do nothing with any electronics. Under-" Zayn started, but something inside me sparked as I interrupted him, rising to my feet.

     "No! It's not fair! We both did it. I should get the punishment too. Please, don't just blame Lilly. It was me too," I exclaimed, feeling pitiful for Lilly. I knew the guilt would eat me up as I watched her sit in her room for an extra half a month.