Ch29 : What Hurts The Most

Chapter 29: What Hurts The Most

     [Edited: September 20, 2015]

     *THE SEQUEL IS OUT*
     "LIVING THE SECOND LIFE"

     (Cal's P.O.V) *One week later*

     I woke up, my eyes tired and puffy. The first thing that came to my mind like every morning - Lilly. But now, it's not a happy thought.

     I'm devastated. I miss her. She was taken away too early. I wish I can save her. I feel like it's my fault. I'm her best friend, I should've been there to protect her.

     For the past week, I've been drowning in my tears, devastated because of my best friend. She's only 13 years old and she dies already. It just doesn't make sense!

     Even though I didn't want to, I forced myself out of bed, and cleaned myself up. I took a shower, and put on some clothes.

     Today, Jake, Riley, Brooke and Mary were going to take me to the Santa Monica Pier. But, it being winter, I had to wear jeans, a sweatshirt, and my worn out converse.

     Heading downstairs, I ate some brunch, since it was already 12:00. My mom smiled and hugged me, relieved I was up again, not locking myself in my room for the rest of my life. I was relieved too, but I was still devastated.

     I quickly shoved my food down, after, I went back to my room, brushed my teeth, and checked my hair.

     A few minutes later, I heard the doorbell ring. I threw on my jacket, got my phone and headed downstairs. I was greeted with warm hugs as we headed out, riding on our penny boards and skateboards.

     About ten minutes later, we arrived at the Santa Monica Pier. It was one-thirty, so we had the rest of the day to enjoy the park. We walked in, got our tickets, and we headed to the biggest rides. We all stuck together, 5 kids running around on the Pier. Sounds good to me.

     Only if the sixth one was with us, my brain immediately thought. Knowing it would ruin my day, I ignored my head and followed after my friends.

     Soon, three hours past by, and it was already five in the evening and the sun looked about ready to set. The girls, wanted to get the pictures of the sunset and the view at night on the Ferris wheel, so we waited.

     While waiting, we decided to get some food, walking over and buying some chips, hotdogs, burgers, fries, drinks, and ice cream. We stuffed ourselves with food, talked and laughed. I finally felt happy. If only Lilly was here, I thought once again.

     ~~~~~~

     The sun had gone down, as Riley, Mary and Brooke just came back from taking pictures of the sunset.

     We walked over to the Ferris wheel next, waiting in line. Mary and Mar were talking to us, but I zoned out. I looked over to Jake and Riley, and saw them standing next to each other.

     Holding hands. Holding hands. . . holding hands! Holding hands?! HOLDING HANDS??!!

     I laughed at them and patted Jake's back. He gave me a confused look. I just shook my head. I always knew Jake had a soft spot for Riley. It's cute. Riley's shy, innocent, sweet. And Jake is a good guy, caring, and awkward. Perfect. Woah, look what Lilly did to me. . . she's rubbing off on me. Then I wished that she should've been here. I sighed again and shook the thought out of my head.

     After a few more minutes of waiting, we climbed into the pods, (or whatever you call them, passenger cars, cabins, capsules, gondola) and sat down, the worker buckling us in. I looked at each of their faces.