I Will NEVER Pick Up A Hitchhiker Again

I'm a 26 year old man, making me about 21 when this event occurred. I live in southern Ohio, about 45 minutes away from Cincinnati. I went to a smaller college in the area and I was pretty isolated from most of my friends and family during the week. My friends all went to their various choices of college throughout the Midwest and my family remained in my hometown. I ended up at a school alone because I had a rather specific major and this was one of the few colleges in the country that would accommodate me. Luckily, my girlfriend went to college fairly close to me so I would often find myself making 2-3 trips a week to see her and study with her.

On most weekends I would go on road trips to visit my friends considering their campuses were a lot bigger and more fun than my small town college. During this particular weekend in question, I was getting ready to make about a 2 hour trip to see my friend Kyle at his school, the name of which I probably shouldn't disclose. I had made the same trip about 30 times before so I knew the route pretty well at this point and didn't even have to use GPS to get there. I left on Friday afternoon once I was done with classes for the day and I was set to arrive at Kyle's dorm at about 8 o clock PM, right on time to go out for a night of binge drinking and eating garbage food (oh, the joys of college).

I set off at about 5:50 and was roughly 15 minutes into my trip when my girlfriend called me. This was pretty unusual considering I had already told her I was driving to Kyle's, so I answered quickly thinking something must have been wrong. She was working that night and her car had broken down in her dorm room parking lot when she was leaving to go work her shift. She figured I wasn't too far into my trip and wanted to know if I could give her a quick ride to work before I got too far away. Me, being the dutiful boyfriend I was, agreed to come get her since I was only about 20 minutes from her location.

I was already pretty far off campus so I pulled over my car on the highway and used GPS to see if there was a faster route to her from where I was. The map on my phone revealed that there was an exit coming up that would take me to a side street that I could use to get to her fairly quickly, so I texted her that I was on my way and set off towards my new destination. I had seen the exit in question plenty of times but I never had any reason to get off on it, so once I exited the highway my surroundings were completely unfamiliar to me.

The exit took me off onto a road that had dense woods on the right side and the highway on the left side. My phone informed me that my next turn wasn't for about 5 miles so I had a ways to go until I had to do any navigating. About a half mile later the road had turned and there were now trees on either side of me and to be honest, it was a really beautiful sight. It was October so the surrounding woods were a mixture of various warm colors and I was actually really enjoying my little detour. The entire area was wooded on either side with only the occasional break in tree line for a driveway and a mailbox to poke out. The houses were hard to see through the trees but from the few glimpses I did manage to get, the houses were actually pretty nice.

It was getting a little dark and I had about a mile to go before I had to turn when I noticed a Toyota with the hood popped open further down the road. As I approached I noticed a man in a shirt and tie with his head under the hood, seemingly with a broke down car. There was no traffic to be seen behind me so I stopped for a moment to ask him if everything was ok and if he needed to borrow my phone or anything. He didn't seem to hear me at first so a little louder this time I said "Everything ok?" This time he seemed to have heard me and he lifted his head up away from the engine and looked up at me. He seemed like a completely normal guy and he had a normal face to match. The best way I could describe him is just pedestrian-looking.

He had short brown hair, brown eyes and 5 o clock shadow. He smiled at me and said he was on his way home from work and that something had gone wrong with his engine. I offered him my phone in case he wanted to call anyone to get picked up or get the car towed. He replied "Oh no that's ok, I have a car service that will come get my car for me. They're closed until tomorrow morning though so I hate to ask but could you possibly give me a ride to my brother's house? He lives only like 4 minutes away from here." This absolutely should have been a red flag for me. I think I was a little stunned by how normal this guy seemed considering most hitchhikers on TV are crazy or are axe murderers. Why couldn't he have used my phone to call his brother? Why couldn't he have called his brother? I guess I wasn't thinking clearly at the time but hindsight is 20/20 and I'm well aware I made a bad decision that night.

I was physically much bigger than him and he was driving a nice car so I figured he wasn't a weirdo or local crazy person and I could overpower him if need be, so I agreed to give him a quick ride to his brother's house since it was on the way to my girlfriend's (who would later be livid with me for taking so much time to get her to work, but that's a story for a different time). I unlocked the door for him to get in and he pointed me in the direction of his brother's house and we set off on our way. Things were pretty normal for a few minutes and I was starting to feel like maybe I did the right thing.

Then things started to get weirder. The first thing that made me uncomfortable was the way he acted every time there was a swear word in the music I was listening to. He was almost flinching every time 50 Cent said "fuck" or "bitch" and I picked up on it pretty quickly so I changed the song thinking that he was just really against swearing or something. About a minute after I changed the song (there was no swearing in this one) he reached up and slammed his hand on the radio's power button and turned it off. It wasn't crazy hard or anything but it was definitely enough to get me to notice.

I tried to make light of the situation and said, "Not your style?" This question was met with complete silence. At this point I was ready for this guy to get out of my car so I asked "how much further do we have to go? I have to be somewhere soon and I can't be late." He said we had about 4 minutes to go which immediately sent up warning signals in my head considering he had told me the same thing about 8 minutes ago. I decided that was enough. I didn't think he was dangerous or anything but I figured our destination was further than he was letting on and he was lying so that I would take him despite the distance.

It was getting late and I wasn't trying to face my girlfriend's wrath, so I told him this was as far as I could go and he'd have to walk the rest of the way. His mood changed immediately, but instead of getting angry which I was completely expecting, he became panicky and was practically begging me to take him the rest of the way. His overreaction set off pretty much every alarm I had in my head, so I told him to remove himself from my car before I had to remove him myself. It was then he pulled out his (rather oversized) wallet and offered to pay me to take him the rest of the way. He tried to pull out a stack of 20 dollar bills but as he removed them from his wallet something else fell out of his wallet onto the seat next to him. It was only a split second before he grabbed it and shoved it back into his pocket but I got a good enough look at it for it to haunt me to this day.

Along with his money, a small Ziploc bag full of what I'm confident were adult teeth fell out of his wallet. Front teeth, molars, you name it. Everyone I've told this story to has been skeptical of this part, but I'm confident that was what I saw. I freaked out worse than I ever have and screamed at him to get out of my car and he got out immediately and was looking at me with surprised eyes on the side of the road. I took off and called the police who simply told me to not pick up hitchhikers ever again and that they couldn't do anything since the man didn't commit any crimes. I don't know where he was going or what he was doing and I'm pretty sure I don't want to know. I do know, however, that he seemed to have all of his teeth still in his mouth. I don't know who's teeth those were or why he had them, but creepy teeth hitchhiker, lets never meet again.