The Man In The Woods

So this actually happened to me I believe a year ago, two at most. My friend Tate moved and eventually I went up one weekend overnight to visit. Now, Tate and I liked playing video games, watching movies, but we also really enjoyed going outside and exploring.

In his old neighborhood there was a creek we would explore around for hours so the next morning when we woke up I asked him if there was anything like that around his new house we could check out during the day and to my excitement there was.

So about a mile or so from his house is a 7/11 and adjacent to it is a huge field that leads into the woods. We got some drinks and once traffic died down we crossed the street to the field. At first I was let down because this wasn't anything like the creek and it seemed boring until we got to the end of the field which is where the woods start.

So we climbed down and now we're in the woods, nothing unusual at first, I saw a fox dash through the trees and escape into the opposite direction of where we were heading so I wasn't worried.

Now these woods were creepy themselves, it wasn't anything huge but just small things that were out of place. There were styrofoam coolers littered on the ground, broken lawn chairs, a tire, broken glass, and a white tank top tied to a tree. It was just strange, we joked about how people must come down here to drink, or how someone must have gotten into a car accident and now lives out here.

Eventually we get deeper into the woods and to the far right of us is a house, it's not in the woods itself it's pretty far off but you could see it from where we were. Honestly the house looked like complete shit, it was old and looked like it was breaking down, and there was a long ladder leading to the roof. On the ladder was a man wearing a reflective orange vest and baseball cap so we couldn't see his face well, and also it wasn't that close. But he saw us, he stared at us for a while and we kept on moving forward.

We eventually get to basically the end of the woods, we reached fencing which separated us and the woods from streets and cars. My friend had to take a piss and after 30 seconds we decide to head back to his house. I was a little disappointed because the creek at his old house was much more entertaining and I liked the water, we were walking and talking and got near the house we saw when we heard leaves crunch somewhat behind us. We turn around and it was the man from the ladder. He didn't say a word, he just stared at us. He wasn't necessarily close but I had a bad gut feeling and we turned around and started walking quickly towards the field.

We hear twigs break and leaves crunch behind us and I turned my head as I was walking and it was the man again. He was following us and again, not a single word.

Both times when I turned and saw him he didn't continue to walk. He just stood there. At this point we're basically sprinting and we run up the incline to get back onto the field and out of those woods. After we got onto the field and saw cars and the 7/11 we both felt relieved and we stopped. I turned around to face the woods and he was there. Right at the end of the woods, staring at us. He didn't climb out and get onto the field, and again he didn't communicate a single word. He just stood there staring at me.

I took a blurry Snapchat video on my phone and I thought I saved it but I can't find it or else I'd try to upload it (not sure if you even can over here?). It was far and zoomed in and all I could capture was his blurry face and baseball cap.

To this day I think about what could have happened in those woods, Tate is a couple years younger than me and I'm big but I'm not that strong and this was a grown man, he definitely could have tried something if he wanted to. For the life of me I can't figure out what his intentions were, if he was trying to scare us, or if he would have actually hurt us or done something perverse if we didn't start running. Instead all he did was stare.