"You have a really nice ass"

In my city, the downtown area is pretty spread out. At the time, I was living in an apartment just outside of the eastern edge of downtown. Walking was my primary method of transportation at the time as parking is scarce and rarely free.

On this particular occasion, I went to a job interview about a half hour's walk from my place, just outside the northern edge of downtown. It went really well, actually. But I ended up not taking the job due to the following events.

I left the business in a very good mood and a skip in my step. It was the middle of the day, the sun was bright and the streets were busy with passing cars. I felt pretty safe to walk back home rather than taking the bus. And the easiest way for me to do so would be to walk south along the street I was on until it crossed my street, then turn and head east.

A few days prior, I had forgotten my iPod at the mall and it was gone. So along the route, when I heard someone say "you have a really nice ass" from right behind me, I heard it perfectly. I decided to keep walking forward, eyes straight ahead.

I figured stopping would leave me vulnerable. And for some weird reason, no one else was out on my side of the street walking in my direction. Probably because of this creep.

I upped my pace as much as possible, my heart pumping furiously from the increased activity and the knowledge that someone was behind me. But as I had been going to an interview, I had opted for heels that day. I didn't want to risk tripping.

My uninvited company kept up without a problem and began to share with me in explicit detail what he liked to do with women with nice asses. It was nothing I was particularly interested in doing with him, regardless of what he looked like. I still didn't know.

At this point we were passing by apartment buildings with gated entrances. And I was hoping someone would emerge and help me out. But I had no luck. I was too nervous to turn down a side street, not knowing if there would be an area that would be perfect for this not-so-gentle man to do exactly what he was describing to me.

For what seemed like eternity this man with a gruff voice followed me, and didn't stop talking. At one point he described the differences in the niceness of asses by ethicity and began trying to guess mine, based solely on the appearance of my rear and hair color I guess.

Finally, as I was approaching the street I needed to turn down, I noticed the thrift shop coming up was open. Not only was it open, but the door that's normally closed that faces the street I was on was open. Double doors propped open by chairs with a large sign over the entrance announcing some ground breaking sale.

I still had no clue if my follower had a weapon. He hadn't touched me with an object or any part of his person yet. So I decided to keep my pace. But when we reached the thrift store, I made a sharp left and sprinted into the shop about halfway through.

I turned when I was on the other side of pay counter which was a combination jewellery display and cashier set up right in the center of the store. There was a man standing at the door, staring into the store.

He wasn't looking at me, it kinda seemed like he was looking into space. He had long dark grey hair and a unkempt beard that was mostly black. His skin was dark, but more like it had been exposed to the sun rather than naturally dark. He reminded me of Brock's dad from Pokemon, when Ash first runs into him outside of Pewter City, in a green coat a few sizes too big and faded jeans.

The cashier turned to see what I was looking at. She yelled, "hey, get out of here." Her words seemed to shake him out of his trance. And he took off the way we had come.

She asked me if I wanted to look at anything in the jewellery cases. I shook my head no, still a little winded from the experience to talk. I walked over to a sofa and sat down. I pulled out my phone and called my then-boyfriend, now-husband.

He came to collect me and took me home. He ended up staying the night to calm my nerves. It ended up being a nice night filled with Netflix, takeout, and snuggles. But I walked a lot less after that, and moved out of the area shortly thereafter.

So Pervy, most likely homeless and mentally ill man who followed me for blocks, let's not meet again.