I Didn't Let Her In

Okay, so this happened three years ago, during my freshman year of college. I was home visiting my mom and brother. At this point in time, they were living in a shitty one-bedroom apartment in disability housing. My mom, who suffers from bipolar disorder, depression, and dissociate personality disorder, had been living there on her own for several years prior to this event, and my older brother had only recently moved in with her. They were on a waiting list for a two bedroom in a different town, which in present day they finally have, and I could NOT be more thankful.

Here's why...during my visit, I was sharing a bed with my mom while my brother was on the pullout couch, blackout drunk after consuming an unholy amount of fireball. Anyways, at 3am my mom and I were woken up by loud, incessant knocking on the door. Actually, pounding is a more appropriate term to describe it. A hoarse voice shouted, "Let me in. Let me the fuck in!"

You know what is both a good and bad thing about apartments? Peepholes, that's what. I crept through the dark kitchen and looked out the peephole. It was a dingy fucking peephole, but I could still get a clear enough image of who was outside our door. It was a women, sweating profusely with gnarled hair and loud breathing. I vaguely recognized her the woman who lived in the apartment below my mom's. I didn't know too much about her, and neither did my mom, other than the fact that she apparently had heart problems and smoked pot religiously. She had gone silent for a few moments while I was looking out, almost as if she had sensed that I was right on the other side of the door.

Right in the middle of my sneaky peephole action, she started pounding at the door again and rattling the doorknob. I jumped about a foot in the air and retreated several feet back. I whispered to my mom, "It's the lady who lives below you!"

We didn't really know what to do. Seeing as this was a disability apartment complex, odds were that this woman had some kind of mental illness. We waited for a bit, to see if she would leave, but she continued to pound and demand for us to open the door. Oh, and remember my older brother? He was still conked out on the sofa, oblivious to the shiftiest we were dealing with. I tried shaking him awake several times, since he was male and in his mid-twenties, and I would have just felt safer with him conscious.

We ended up calling the police, after almost two hours had gone by and she hadn't given up. At this point in time we weren't really scared, but more annoyed. The police are always coming 'round to these apartment complexes, so they weren't exactly shocked when I informed them what was up. They said they'd send an officer over....so we waited some more.

Then, the creepiest part of the whole night (now morning) occurred. She started scratching her nails on the door like a furious cat, screaming "I'll kill you! I'll fucking kill you! Let me in!"

Just in the nick of time, the police arrived, a whole glorious hour after I had called. They spoke to her from the bottom of the stairs (mom's apartment was right at the top of the stairs) and I couldn't really make out what they said, but the pounding stopped.

We never really got any information on what the woman's problem was. I don't really think she was dangerous, but it was creepy all the same. I went back to school the next day, and a few weeks later my mom and brother got an approval for a two-bedroom and moved towns. Neither of the, by the way, had seen the woman since the police had come.

Woman who lived below my mother, let us not cross paths again. You left me sleep deprived and terrified.